Propeller Geometry

Discussion in 'Props' started by conceptia, Apr 26, 2010.

1. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

Guys,

I'm learning how to draw a propeller. In fact my idea is to completely understand how the complete propeller design would be. I have fixed my parameters like pitch, diameter, Ae/Ao ratio, rpm etc. Now I need to identify how to fix propeller hub dia, and the complete design drawing of the propeller follows. Could you please enlighten me further on this topic...

2. conceptia

the number of blades I have selected is 4..

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

The physical engineering and drafting of ship propellers is fairly specailized. Unless you work, or want to work, for a firm that manufactures them it isn't effective to draw your own. While there are many programs out there that will determine the base geometry for specfiying/ordering, and many propeller series that you can copy (B-series, etc.), most of the actual details, such as hub thickness, fillets, blade strength, etc. reside in specification codes such as ABS, and ISO. See if you can find ISO 484-1 and -2.

If you want to draw your own, all you basicly need is a hub detail and a blade expansion. From the blade expansion you can detail the section and fillet templates for the moulding pattern.

3d modeling for CNC is a whole other matter and subject to Wassenaar Arrangement restrictions.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. conceptia

hey mate, I wish to study this. I'm referring to a lot of books at this moment to understand the complete propeller geometry. Could you refer me to a book which could help me much on this topic..

5. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

The current edition of PNA, Vol 2 has a section on basic propeller drawing development and construction details as well as propeller design overview. Saunders in HDSD also has a section on design details but it is a bit dated. Marine Engineering has a fairly good section on shafting and tolerencing. For "small" wheels there is a SAE standard for hub a taper and size. For a ship sized hub you need to follow the class guides or work it up from scratch using normal strength of material taper fits. Don't forget the Pilgrim Nut (if required) and the fact the NiAlBronze is harder than some steels.

6. conceptia

wow.. thats a good piece of advice... Lemme look into PNA then.. thanks a lot buddy...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.