right propeller for my boat

Discussion in 'Props' started by urisvan, Sep 6, 2016.

1. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

i lost my propeller while motoring in Caribbean. it is almost impossible to find propeller here but a friend is coming to visit me from USA and he can bring one.

the problems are:
    1-time is limited he can come just these days so i need to buy it within one or two weeks
    2- my old prop is three blade,15" diameter but i dont know its pitch, it is old and nothing is stamped on it. and i dont know what to buy!

any help will be appreciated, because time is limited looking forward to hear from you soon

Regards
    Ulas

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What engine, what type and size of boat, displacement of boat, power of engine, reduction ratio of engine, outboard/inboard/etc., target speed, etc.?

3. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

Thank you Gonzo,

Engine:
    yanmar 2gm20, diesel inboard, long shaft
    reduction is 2.21
    rated HP 16

Boat:
    long keel boat around 8000kg, 31 feet LOA, 25 feet LWL
    target speed is 6 knts, mostly i use the engine lower RPM and 5 knot is a good speed.

Regards
    Ulas

4. JSL

JSL Senior Member

If you give all this information to a propeller supplier/dealer or manufacturer they should be able to 'size' it correctly.
    or try the Victoria Propeller website, they have a propeller program you can use but it may have limitations.

5. bit

bit Student

15" x 7" or (15" x 8")
    Regards

6. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

three blade or two blade?

and does 14*8 three blade works too? because my aperture is very narrow. if i put 15" only half cm or one cm remains (like my old prop)

Regards
    Ulas

7. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

i have written ACME propellers but they are pretty uninterested to find a solution. i gave them the datas they need but they want the spesifications of my old prop. if i knew it why i would ask to them?

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.