470 polar diagram

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by arne470, Aug 6, 2009.

1. arne470

arne470 Previous Member

Hi guys,

Does anybody knows where I can get a 470 polar diagram or does anybody have a 470 polar diagram?

Best,
    Arne

2. cwir

cwir New Member

3. Joakim

Joakim Senior Member

That is a totally wrong polar. Actually 470 is supposed to be faster than 49er, if you compare the two polars from that source.

One way to look at it is to compare some handicaps, e.g. Yardstick: http://www.berliner-yardstick-kommission.de/resources/DSVYardstick.PDF

470 has 103, 49er has 82 (thus it is ~20% faster) and my 35 feet C/R boat has 89. The polar shown is quite similar to my boat on 10 kn beat (6.3 kn at 43 TWA) and there is no way a 470 would be anywhere as fast in that condition (I have raced a 470). Reaching 10 knots on 10 knots wind is even more ridiculous.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.