Adding an OB w/bracket to a 20' Moopie

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by kevinm, Apr 16, 2010.

1. kevinm

kevinm New Member

I’m considering a repower on a 66’ Bertram Moopie 20’. I promised myself I’d never own an outdrive however I like the hull. My question is, but not limited to;
    • Performance- I have modest speed expectations (low to mid 30’s mph). Will a 4-stroke 150hp get me there?
    • Trim-I’d like to have a boat that sits nicely on her lines. How will the leverage of moving that weight back affect the trim vs the current V8 sterndrive?
    • Looks-I think the Moopie is a good looking boat. Will I be bastardizing the boat by hanging an OB on a bracket off the back?
    • Reinforcing the transom-I understand this model was heavily build but should I be thinking a thick piece of Oak, SS backing plates, heavy FG mat?
    • Thoughts on the Moopie-Is this a hull worthy of the time and expense.

Thanks in advance.

2. Typhoon

Typhoon Senior Member

I was once involved in hanging a pair of 150 V6 Mercurys off a 28ft Bertram runabout. It performed fantastcially, trimmed well and was an excellent sea boat after the conversion.
    Just make sure you use a well built pod or build one. The one on the Bertram was also made to serve as a boarding platform once in the water.
    The existing engine bay was turned into tankage and the old tank areas into huge storage areas. There was no downside to the conversion whatsoever.
    I say go ahead and do it, but I would use the lightest engine you can find, and 150 is as low as I'd go in horsepower..

Regards, Andrew.

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Too bad you cant buy OMC sea drives they were perfect for that.
    I did a 25 Bertram in OZ with 1.6 Sea drives and it went as fast as the twin 170 stern drives.
    Another dealer did a 28 with 2.6 sea drives equally as good.
    There was tons of clever engineering in the sea drives...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.