Freeship... hard chine how to..

Discussion in 'Software' started by boatdude, Dec 7, 2007.

1. boatdude

boatdude Junior Member

I'm screwing around with freeship 2.6.

I'd like to play around with a design around 27 feet similar to the attached pic.

Is their any how to's or anything for freeship for a hull like this?

I'd like to be able to enter the deadrise etc..

I have autocad experience, but I'm having trouble making freeship do what I have in my head.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

How close am I? You can change to Imperial if you want to use obsolete measurement system.

Freeship is much faster and easier than Autocad for hull design. The attached took 10 minutes.

Rick W.

Attached Files:

3. boatdude

boatdude Junior Member

Rick, that was awesome!!

Wish I could figure out how to do it.
    Imperial is obsolete, I agree.

Any chance you can run through what you did to create that in 10 minutes?

Thanks!

Andrew

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Andrew
    I opened FreeShip and started a New ship. Set the dimensions to 8m 3m and 0.5m. Left the Stations and six and reduced the points to 3.

When the hull came up I hardened the chine by selecting the edge and "creasing" it. I then just pulled the points about in the plan, and elevation views until it looked right. The transom is made by selecting and then "extending" its two edges. You then set the transverse value to zero for the three extended points so they site on the centreline.

I spilt three of the edges toward the bow and joined the new points with an edge so I could create the flare.

I set the underwater colour to dirty green and the hull layer colour to white.

Saved the file and saved a bmp image of the iso view. I converted the bmp view to jpg. Then made the post to Boatdesign.

I would normally spend more time fairing out the hull lines but it was good enough to give you a starter hull.

The most useful thing I fgound was the mouse keys. You should play with these so you learn how to zoom and move items around in the window. This is needed if you want to do detail.

I would also make the deck another layer. If you use add cyclinder they come up on a new layer. The cylinder can be transformed into any shape you like.

With very simple hulls I just delete the starter hull and add a cycliner to start with. You can choose in the layer properties if the layer is part of hydrostatics and if it is symmetric (mirrored). You can also get areas and weights from the layer properties.

Rick W.

5. boatdude

boatdude Junior Member

Rick,

Thanks a ton!

That was a great tutorial.

I'll go play with the program now..... lots of fun ahead!

Andrew

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.