Bayliner Trophy 20.5Ft and Yamaha 150Hp. Which prop?

Discussion in 'Props' started by mallia.s, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mallia.s

mallia.s Junior Member

Hi guys!!

A friend of mine asked me to do some research for him, to acquire any info regarding the adequate prop for a 20.5Ft Bayliner Trophy, having a 150HP four stroke Yamaha motor. He currently has a 19cm prop, but only manages to attain 5000rpm of the 5000-6000rpm range stated by the manual. It is also stated that 150HP is achieved at 5500rpm.

Lately he had tried a 17cm prop, which allowed the engine to rev at a max of 6000rpm. This is great, but obviously the top speed decreased from 29kts to about 19-20kts if I'm not mistaken.

Using the 17cm prop is better for fuel economy and engine lifetime, but is there some prop model that maybe has a higher pitch? To try and attain the top speed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration!

Regards

Steve

2. mallia.s

mallia.s Junior Member

anybody?

3. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Many boat owners use 2 choices and carry 2 props. They have found ,as you have that the best prop lies between the 2.

The choice of which to use today lies in what you are doing today.

Or contact a prop dealer who should have a dozen to try including 4 bladers, ally, stainless etc

5. Typhoon

Typhoon Senior Member

You could get the 17 prop cupped and see how that goes.
    Cupping usually knocks a couple hundred rpm off teh engine and increases top speed a little.

Regards, Andrew.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.