prop pitch bmeasurements

Discussion in 'Props' started by spike, Dec 26, 2004.

1. spike

spike New Member

I have several propellors from 12" to 18" and would like to know their pitch. Is there a simple task to find pitch
    First time user so be gentle

2. E4ODnut

E4ODnut Junior Member

From Dave Gerr's book:

With the prop face up on a flat surface, find the point along the blade that a 45-45-90 degree triangle will best fit the angle of the blade. Measure this point to the shaft centre line. This is radius "R". Pitch = R x 2 x 3.14

I've tried this, and found it quite difficult to be accurate because of the shape of the blade I was working on. I measured my blades at about 14.5". I took them to a prop shop, where the technician measured them at 13.5".

My advice, take them to a prop shop for an accurate measurment, my local guy did it for a box of beer.

Robert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.