prop shrouds

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waterwar, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

until we meet again

I will visit again soon and reply to ones that are on subject.
    Personal comments will no longer elicit any response

*People who do such are irreproachable and a waste of time, and merely post to see their own name in print!

Vows made in stormy waters are forgotten in calm ones.

2. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

I apologize

Sorry i have Fios internet optic cable and it is unreliable in this location...
    seems the ants attack the casing underground here..

I have to go on and off at the ant's will sorry and i do work outside its 65 degrees here today

3. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

the subject was dismissed when the old thread was reviewed i apologize for any antagonism
    or misconceptions sometimes you have to jump start when you go hit or miss on computer connection my fault

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

My experience with nozzles is in fishing trawlers and offshore tugs. They have a definite advantage to about 7Kt which declines at different rates depending on design.
    Waterwar: if you don't want personal comments, you should abstain from making them. Also, what level of engineering and math do you understand? You are asking for scientific data.

5. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

thank you

I have a college degree and took calculus
    i appreciate your sincere response

6. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

If you note in the test link i sent Mr Shulltz claims a boost that overcomes the drag is this possible he claims a speed boost at high speed

7. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Everything I have been able to fathom indicates that all prop guards will invariably reduce speed

this is only one that has 'test ' to prove it fake or what

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That has been around for a while. I have never seen any independent data substantiating it.

9. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

At low speeds thrust will be increased, but this can't overcome the increased drag from the duct at higher speeds.

Some of the advertising for these add-on ducts for outboards is a bit misleading, as they tend to compare static thrust, sometimes described as bollard pull.

Ducts work well at increasing low speed thrust, and can improve the ability of something like a ski boat to lug inexperienced skiers out of the hole, but as soon as the boat gets above a few knots, performance will fall off when compared to an open prop.

Jeremy

10. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Thank you My boat can get a skier up its a 40hp old as dirt 1957 OMC
    so I could not do pull if i
    I put on a prop guard?

11. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

In other words the test that was performed is weighted by mr. shultz. I notice a very large engine was used.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What does "so I could not do pull if i
    I put on a prop guard?" mean?

13. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

He claims an actual increase at high speed

14. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

It means that at present I can pull a skier in my ole crate of a boat..
    What I am asking is if I put this prop guard device on will it cause a loss of speed so I am unable to tow a skier?

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you have a propeller and nozzle properly manufactured and matched, the "hole shot" will be better. Your top speed will be less. There is no generic answer, it depends on the set up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.