prop shrouds

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waterwar, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

I don't mind kicking a virtual hornet's nest.I'll use a hi tech solution
    you know like a virtual can of raid
    If it's ignorance is a problem,then information can cure that one very easily'

stewart

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Stewy,

You don't seem to be able, or willing, to answer any of my questions.

Let me try one more, but don't answer it if you're not comfortable:

How old are you? You know, what is your age?

-Tom

3. ned L

ned L Junior Member

I'm not getting involved in this banter, but just going to suggest someone looking up the proper application for a kort nozzle, and then also ask why race boats don't use them if they are so great for high speed?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In the UK, gas is not gasoline. That would be petrol.

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Gas turbine.. not gasoline. Some gas turbines can burn about every combustible fluid from terpentine to bunker oil, so there is a possibility burn gasoline too but that still however a gas turbine...

6. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

to one and all and 'anthony'

Anthony:''' oft its said the apple falls not far from the tree'''':p
    I can only express hope one day you:( may communicate with your son

I am happily married over 2o some odd years thank you very much

I think a few things need to be said to stabilize the 'deck' Firstly, I opened a thread for obvious reasons: to talk about it! I wish for the discussion to be fruitful in order for coherent thought. Perhaps even a meaningful mutual sharing of ideas and concepts that might be applied to marine propulsion.
    The mere mention of propeller guards is akin to throwing a mouse into a herd of elephants... you'd think it was a TABOO.
    I am sorry I haven't addressed Tommy's queries as of yet but I will ....
    I will fill out my profile for interested parties .. so he can see even old men.... misspell.
    I will not dumb down my syntax. Sorry if you don't like it I will promise to spell check (Is that what those lil redlines are...)
    I will try to watch those nasty run on sentences too. I didn't know it was a criminal act in Gonzo world. But in truth, your 'style' I personally find to be quite acerbic sir.:p

Stewart Loeblich:)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You keep on being obnoxious. It is not TABOO, it is you not answering any of the direct questions posted. Please back some of your claims. For example that the difference in propeller or impeller ducting is the only cause of the difference in speed between a submarine and a torpedo.

8. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

your questions are ridiculous gonzo as is your obnoxious style

9. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

It would cost a great deal of money to put a huge cowling for a nuke boat's huge prop.
    The reason it is used in a torpedo is to optimize its high speed performance.
    It's not rocket science, its using a multiple propeller system on one shaft.
    That's causes turbulence inherently of itself the cowling provides a solution so the multiple propeller system's turbulence problems.
    I understand confusion on this concept but please try to think out of the box a little

Why do you think the military uses multiple propellers?
    for ultimate speed and power ratio . I was trying to bring something forward that could possible help everyone. We all want more speed, and no loss of power.So common goals can equal a common good.
    Let's act like adults here. Gonzo the trash talk is what is truly obnoxious

gasoline not gas my mistake
    slang seems to spin it worked, just like throwing gas 'er petrol on the fire to blaze bright...

a bemused
    Stewart

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  10. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Well Tom I'm 57 and very comfortable so what.....

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Waterwar: like many other dilettantes, instead of answering questions about your claims you resort to personal attacks.

12. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

One reason, and probably the major reason, contra-rotating propellors are used on torpedos to keep the torpedo from spinning. A torpedo with a single propellor needs fins to counteract the torque of the propellor. Contra-rotating propellors can also be more efficient, particularly at higher speeds. Shrouds are not required by contra-rotating propellors. Most US Navy torpedos have had contra-rotating propellors without shrouds. An official history of US torpedo developmen, now de-classified, is available at http://www.hnsa.org/doc/jolie/index.htm

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Waterwar, the topic is a good one and has been ongoing one over the years, it's an interesting topic and worth some new input The problem i think was in your excitement to create debate you took the wrong approach by using the tool of confrontentation to create debate instead of querry. We're probably all guilty of this at some point in our life, it's usually a sign of higher levels of tetosterone thus the question on your age.Good for you if your levels are high but bad for you if you want meaningful debate. Thats why old guys mellow and become more patient and wise. So me thinks if it's not too late you could re tone your post and a transfer of info could possibly occur. Geo.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner.

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

It helps to provide data to back up claims that the conventional understanding is all wrong, particularly when a topic has been studied for many decades.

15. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Do you have ANY data to back up this claim other than the simple logic:
    1) Subs and torpedos are fast.
    2) Some fast subs and torpedos have shrouded propellors.
    3) Therefore fast subs and torpedos ARE fast because the have shrouded propellors.

Conclusion 3) is flawed. Fast subs and torpedos MAY be fast beause they have shrouded propellors, BUT they MAY be fast for other reasons.
    AND it is possible that they might be faster if designed without the shroud.

Again, anything else to support your claim?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.