prop shrouds

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waterwar, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I agree with the others that the reason for the rings/shrouds on submarine and torpedo propellors is to reduce the noise, not to increase the speed.

2. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

electric boats

Nuclear power is used to generate electricity to power huge engines on aircraft carriers and submarines
    My friends welcome to WW3 not WW2

You think diesel electric subs are artifacts of a past era? Chinese and Germany field very sophisticated non nuclear subs still diesel and electric, but add modern fuel cells. http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread175171/pg1
    These hybrid subs are very formidable and quiet and are very much respected in the open seas
    Sorry, but mostly all gasoline turbine powered ships actually power huge generators that power electric motors on warships of the fleet of modern navies. Torpedoes can run on electricity too also ever hear of seawater batteries or lithium?

Stew

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Can you provide any examples of shrouded propellors on high speed craft where noise is not a concern?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Gasoline ships? Are you kidding?

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The MK48 torpedo is driven by a swash-plate engine which is powered by gases from combustion of a monopropellant. A Google or Bing search for MK48 torpedo will quickly verify this.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think the new boy kicked a hornet's nest ;)

7. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

My father was senior engineer on the MK 48 project and i will have to disagree
    he tested the torpedo in Puget Sound, Washington
    manufactured at Westinghouse plant in Baltimore Md
    water propulsion is a science well studied the torpedo is operational until 2025 with latest update recently done
    and i assure you it would go slower without cowling.Its not there just for looks or stealth (its an old torpedo design by now but still a goody)

The Subs use prop rings they do not use the extensive cowling a torpedo does... They are much slower in the water than the fully shrouded torpedo

stewart Loeblich

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Prove that the difference is because of one having an extensive cowling an the other not.

9. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

My first job title after graduate school was "Senior Research Engineer".

Removing part of an optimized system and noting that the system doesn't perform as well proves nothing. So how fast would a MK 48 go with a propellor system optimized for use without a shroud?

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Correct, though not well understood by some who may claim to have studied it.

11. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

the use of specialized propeller cowling to give stealth to a weapon system like the MK 48 is no relevant we are talking about weapon that is a speedster
    Stealth is new concept this is a sixties torpedo it has little time before detonation. Electric was one early version sorry did.t want to discuss the operational otto fueled engine I see now it is common knowledge ... Stew

12. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Please do, Teddy; I'll add up to it........

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You still have not proved anything except that you are obnoxious. Your dad might have been a research engineer, but it doesn't make you one. You are posting misspelled run-on sentences to prove you are better than us. It is hardly a successful technique.

14. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

15. waterwar

waterwar Previous Member

gonzo
    The bantering and ranting seems to be found in your posts.
    I don't think anyone misspells deliberately Sorry if I am a little hard on you but...as polite as you seem not ever to be
    indicates too much ego or what.... possibly unbalanced ..... a few pints short of full? Something like that, it seems apparent in your abbreviated outbursts.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.