Help me out with my frame

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Wemdoug, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Wemdoug

Wemdoug Junior Member

Hello pls i want to know the type op metal sections used in the construction of barges. I'd also love to know if the regular electrode arc welding can be used.
    Thanks
    wem doug

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes you can use regular arc welding. What do you mean by type of metal sections? Are you trying to design a barge yourself?

3. Wemdoug

Wemdoug Junior Member

Thanks gonzo. Actually yes i am trying to design a barge by my self and by metal sections i mean
    1). The type of material fo the frme.
    2). Will it be I beams, u bars or angle iron.
    3). The size of these metal sections

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Honestly the best thing to do is buy a set of plans for a barge that's already been designed & built. That way you get all the steel dimensions as well as (hopefully) the quantities.

I would not use any structural steel section that can't be easily painted during building and inspected afterwards.

You don't state how big the barge is to be, either.

PDW

5. Wemdoug

Wemdoug Junior Member

Thanks pdwiley it actually skiped my memory to state the dimenssion of the barge it will be 8m wide X 15m long X 1.8m high. All dimenssions are in meters. Thanks

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

There is wisdom here; "I would not use any structural steel section that can't be easily painted"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.