prop removal on a comunbia 29 question

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by souljour2000, May 12, 2011.

1. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Okay guys...I finally got into a Columbia 29 MK II that is in reasonable shape for the price I think (less than 2 grand). She is a lead mine with full keel as many of you know...and yet the 6'2 headroom is really the charmer for me after living aboard the Seafarer 24 off and on for 2 months now.( 4'11 headroom)

I am not in a big hurry but I have a question...One of the former owners pulled the Atomic 4 and installed a fairly robust and agreeable welded tubular aluminum outboard motor bracket on the transom instead with nice teak flanking swim platform "squares" to either side. I like this arrangement...the prop shaft is still there in the housing ....but so is the prop! I want to remove the prop at some point and leave the shaft/housing...Can I remove the prop from the outside? Or do I need top haul out and plug the whole thing right...? Ideas welcome. Thx

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The prop is usually removed from the outside. Take the cotter pin off and then the two nuts. Most likely you'll need a prop puller. Sometimes you can heat the hub of the prop and hammer is out, but it is likely to cause damage. If you are not keeping the prop, there will be many people willing to take it out if they can keep it.

1 person likes this.
  3. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

re: prop removal on C-29MKII

Thanks Gonzo!!...I'd give you another +1 if they let me but they won't yet....!!!!! You've been remarkably succinct and efficient for a while now......diet change..?....Maybe you found your soul mate..whatever it is...keep it up...:p

4. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

I gave him +2 for you. Good deeds should be rewarded.

--
    CutOnce

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I'm glad to be of help. Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.