Left handed propeller

Discussion in 'Props' started by Daan, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Daan

Daan Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    I am building my own boat and I am looking for a propeller for my boat. I was looking for a 14 x 17 left handed propeller but I can't seem to find any.
    Do you guys have any suggestions where I should search?

Thanks in advance!

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Were you just looking locally in the Netherlands, or overseas as well?

Here are some propeller suppliers in Britain -
    Propellers - Clements Marine and Engineering https://clementsengineering.co.uk/products/marine-stern-gear/propellers/

https://teignbridge.co.uk/

Castle Marine - Propeller Sales https://www.castlemarine.co.uk/propeller-shop.php

https://www.bruntonspropellers.com/

Was a 14" x 17" propeller specified by the designer of your boat?
    How many blades?

I asked for some more info about the boat on your other thread re coating the hull - can you also tell us what engine you will be using please?

3. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

So how did you come up with a 14x17 prop. You are going to swing that with a lawnmower engine in a hull copied off a seabreacher which is not actually a boat.

4. Daan

Daan Junior Member

I can not tell much about the hull because its a simple design I came up with myself. But the engine I want to use is a Honda G400 engine. This engine came out of a Honda EV3600 generator and I wanted to use it for my boat. Other people already helped me with getting it to work. I will make a 3:1 reduction and they told me a 14 x 17 prop will work. But now I am looking into it, it seems a bit big. So I think I need to change some plans.

5. brendan gardam

it may be or not be correct, its hard to figure out what you need when the information is lacking. have you sorted out your gearbox yet. if you could post some photos of your boat it will help a lot.

6. brendan gardam

A good used outboard 6 to 10 hp is what I think you need, but it's your boat.

7. Daan

Daan Junior Member

I will be using a centrifugal clutch, so I will be able to have forward and neutral.
    I will post some pictures of the boat later this week.

brendan gardam likes this.
  8. brendan gardam

make sure you resize your photos or they won't load on this site.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You don't want to listen to the advice against using a generator petrol engine, instead of a better and cheaper option; an outboard. Instead you follow the advice of whoever says a high speed type propeller is adequate for you setup. Firstly, centrifugal clutches will not allow you to go forward and back, a gear box with reverse and forward will. Generator engines are set up to run at a constant speed, not a good choice for a boat engine. The fuel and electrical system are dangerous on an inboard installation and won't comply with any regulations.

10. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Daan mentioned on his other thread that the boat is only 3.3 metres long and 1 metre wide - I don't know where the engine will go in the boat, as it will already be fairly cramped with one person onboard, never mind rather tippy..

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It sounds rather suicidal.

12. Daan

Daan Junior Member

I choose to use the engine out of the Honda generator because it is the only engine I have available right now and if I can't get my plan to work with this engine I will look for other engines. Also the reason I believe this engine will work is because it is normally used to put inside of a RV and it is certainly not my first time building a project with a generator engine.
    The reason I am using a centrifugal clutch is because I will have neutral and forward "gears" as I mentioned before and I do know that I won't have a reverse with a centrifugal clutch and a gearbox with forward and reverse is to expensive for me right now.

13. hoytedow

Do you know how to marinize an engine? If not you will find yourself in the water without eyebrows.

14. Daan

Daan Junior Member

Can you explain a bit more about what you mean with marinize an engine? I've looked up alot on the internet about using engines that are not meant to be used as marine engines but the only thing I read was that I should get a flame arrestor for my carburettor.

15. hoytedow

Electrical components must be spark proof. Gasoline(petrol) fumes will ignite and burn you and your little boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.