Prop for lightweight 15.5 ft runabout / 40 HP outboard

Discussion in 'Props' started by Peter.D, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Peter.D

Peter.D New Member

Hi, what propeller would you suggest for lightweight plywood boat (about 550 lbs - boat+engine+fuel) with 40 HP Yamaha outboard engine? I'm currently using Solas - Amita 3, aluminum 3 blade prop with 11 diameter and 15 pitch and gaining speed about 30 knots. My expectations were about 35 - 40 kn...
    I was trying to use prop calculators like propcalc etc. and the resulting prop is 11/23. But this pitch seems to me out of the normal range... What prop should I try?
    My basic data are: 40 HP with max 5500 rpm, 2.0 gear ratio, 700 lbs (incl 1 man), 13 ft LWL, 35 kn required speed, C ... 170 (just guessing - between runabout and fast)
    => prop 11/23... ???
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What RPM do you get at WOT?

3. Peter.D

Peter.D New Member

Don't know yet. I'll get tachometer by the end of this week so let you know afterwards. It seems that I gain max speed on cca half open throttle and then it doesn't accelerate anymore. I'll do more testing when I get tachometer and write back. Just to let you know - this boat has 7 deg deadrise - for flat water and trim is about 1-2 deg at full speed.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That seems like an over-propped motor. The tach will let you know.

5. sandhammaren05

sandhammaren05 Senior Member

With 2:1, 5500 RPM, 36 mph, you need 15" pitch. The required diameter is 10". Solas produces bad designs if you want speed. Also, I once bought a Solas and the pitch was 2" less than advertised! I'd buy a Turbo or Stiletto, both designed by Jim Booe in Indianapolis. The company is still run by Jim's son but was bought by Yamaha. And forget aluminum.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.