Proof a vintage Porsche will turn you homeless

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, May 1, 2008.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Proof a vintage Porsche will turn you homeless.

I took the last couple of days off to get my 30 year old Porsche ready for the summer. I had to open up the engine and adjust some valves, change the engine oil, transmission gear oil and a few other things.

I then took a test drive and took advantage of the setting sun to take some photographs of a 48,000 SF building I designed a few years ago. The building is so large that the best pictures are taken from across the street.

So there I am taking pictures of the building and checking the engine oil level with engine running and all warmed up like I'm supposed to when a guy comes out of the condo sales clubhouse and ask me what I was doing. He explained that the sales lady (his words) that he works with (he's the grounds keeper) asked him to investigate. Realizing that I was a greasy dirty mess I explained and said I know that I don't look like an architect now...........we had a good laugh and I went on my way when I was finished.

I went home ate dinner grabbed some of my work things and went for a ride down scenic Huron River Drive. On my way home I went down town Ann Arbor to drop off my two nice leather carrying bags at my office while still dressed in my car working clothes. I did this because I walk 30 minutes to work and did not want to carry both bags in the morning.

Walking down the street a half a block from my office a police car pulls over, the officer walks up to me and asks me my name, where am I going and what's in the bags.

I told him my name, told him that I'm going to my office, even told him the address as he looked at me suspiciously. I'm an architect and just finished working on my vintage Porsche for the last two days I explained.

He said; well, you can imagine how this looks.

I said; No, I can't imagine, haven't looked in the mirror all day.

So there you go, this is how maintaining your own vintage Porsche can turn you into a homeless person. Ann Arbor has a heck of a homeless population given it's size, if you count the Porsche owners too.

You have been warned.

I went home and told my wife, we both had a very good laugh. The picture she took is attached.

[​IMG]
    Cheers, George/kach22i

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Looks like the sort of kit I'd imagine an architect might wear to the office!! But in a boat? no way, you can't insult your boat like that! The office and the clients yeah!! They only pay the bills!!

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The final touch on this story which really completed the look is that I bashed my knee on the disc brake because I took off the rear tires to have greater access and was walking with a pronounced limp.

I think the two days of sun and wind on my face in a town of white collar workers, book worms and students did not help either. I tan up fast, and that can work against you even with a mixed race (black with blue eyes) cop.

5. murdomack

murdomack New Member

You never see dirty workmen in the street anymore, or even in garages.
    In my present job I always wear coveralls and boots, ready to go anywhere, even if I am at my desk all day.
    Sometimes, maybe once a week or fortnight, if I have been out in the heat all day, I will shower and change into casual wear in the late afternoon when I know everywhere is closed. Every second person I meet asks "Are you flying out tonight?"
    It's the exact opposite of what happened to you here and it makes me annoyed that they expect me in my workwear all the time.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Reminds me of the time I owned a BMW R75/6. What a beautiful bike, absolutely flawless. I had to move it once in my ancient ('67) Dodge van--- this was the late eighties at the time. Some cop spied it through the van windows and I got pulled over for looking like I was too much of a loser to own such a machine (not the Dodge, the BMW).
    The truth is, unlike you, I was kind of a loser. The cop never "laughed with me". He just seemed a little pissed off that nobody got arrested.
    I'm still a loser but now I dress like a winner and I puit on a good show. Everything's tied up in my image. All props. I'd put up a photo, but I'm too lazy. But I look a lot like Tony Randall at a board meeting.
    BY the way, George, stay away from my daughter. She can pump her own gas.

Alan

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

to Oft people judge on looks alone
    A grazier may go to town in his boot and shorts, he may be worth millions
    i knew a fisherman once who had just sold up his quota, he walked into the local Audi dealership, was poking around, this snotty salesman(you know the type) asked him NOT to touch the car, so the guy walks next door buys a Merc
    I had a 500se once, was amazing the different attitude people adopted from the one they took when I went in the farm truck
    Snobbery is a decease esp car snobbery , here, UK, are the worst I have seen so far

8. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Chit you look clean to me :D when I really get going on the toy car it gets really ugly, mind you not as bad as when I am anti-fouling and polishing. Cops here would not do that...

I sold a 200K boat to a grotty guy in grubby white shorts and t shirt once, back when 200k was a really big number for a boat. He asked, I showed him and he bought on the spot (I was a little surprised, these things where normally a little more drawn out)... It was a rich area but the locals still bombed around in all sorts of get ups, you long since learned not to guess. Anyway I walk out into the car park afterward and he is getting into a chauffeur driven white vintage Bentley with white leather... I had to chuckle at the sight, you'd have never picked it.

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I'm just filthy, not filthy rich.:p

10. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Just like most of the vintage cars owners that I know :D

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya look like every architect i know,,,hehe,,,hmmm now that i think of it,,,ya kinda look like the pic my mom showed me of dad,,,,,,have you ever been to maine?,,around 1969?,,hehe ,,now try walking round like me ,,,cops and rich folks see my hippie *** walking and they just shoot,,,,,MAN rock salt in a 12 gauge BURNS!! hehe,,,,,welcome to my world George,,,ha,,hehe ;) :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.