Boat Design Software with Good Stability Analysis

Discussion in 'Software' started by waynep, Sep 30, 2010.

1. waynep

waynep Junior Member

I was wondering: what software, within the $1000 or less range, can provide good accurate Stability Calculation Results? As far as free software goes, Free!ship had a flaw in its Stability Calculation Results prior to Version 3.1+. Free!ship plus addressed the issue, but I find that Free!ship Plus crashes constantly. Also, whenever you start adding boat interior items such as the floor, bulkheads, etc., Free!ship's Stability Calcs go down the drain and the program crashes again. Does Delftship have this problem also? The free version of Delftship does not include any Stability Analysis. Is this one of those areas in Hull Design (Software) where the feature for excellent Stability Analysis just does not exist?

2. b1ck0

b1ck0 Senior Member

It may be a silly question but what exacly you want to calculate?
    Large angle stability, Upright Hydrostatics, KN values ... ?
    I think that RhinoMarine ( Rhino3D plugin ) can do such calculations.

3. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Rhino3D is a good choice and easy to learn. But as all softwares Rhino needs a lot of practise to be effective. Been used it dayly about 10 years.
    http://www.rhino3d.com/

I think Rhinomarine is now obsolete, the same programmers made Orca3D, whitch is also a Rhino3D plugin. Used Rhinomarine earlier, but now I am very satisfied with Orca3D. Exported files to Excel should be less "designed" though.
    http://www.orca3d.com/index.htm

Terho

4. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

OK,,,Let me suggest you a software which will give you good hydrostatics and stability withing a price of $1000
    It is Rhino+Archimedes

From Rhino you can export a ghs file which can be read by Archimedes. Archimedes can do the cross curves for you. And once you have the cross curve you have to make a very little effort to make the GZ curve from the data of cross curve, as you know GZ=KN-KGXsin(angle-of-inclination)

What rhino marine or Orca gives you is just GZ curve and some hydrostatic parameters, and those things you can get from Archimedes for free.

5. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

6. waynep

waynep Junior Member

Accurate Cross Curves of Stability.

7. waynep

waynep Junior Member

So, Rhino does not have Cross Curves of Stability built-in? I was aware of Archimedes Software, but did not realize the Rhino connection that was possible.

Thank you for the info.

8. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

no , rhino doesnt have cross cuves built in. If you need information regarding exporting your model to archimedes , then you can ask here.

9. ontwerp

ontwerp Naval Architect

Tried Delftship?

If you are familiar with Freeship, why don't you try Delftship? It is the paid continuation of Freeship and has good stability results, plus you can buy the features in modules and just buy what you need.

10. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

oh yes,If you are familiar with freeship then I do agree with ontwerp.

11. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

waynep,
    Sorry I missed a very important point. If you can model the hull in freeship then you can export your file directly to archimedes by going to File>Export>Archimedes or File>Export>GHS , then you can have hydrostaic data and Cross curves. In freeship also you can make the cross curves.

I told you earlier that how easily you can make the GZ curve from the Cross curves. So if it is OK for you , then the total cost for your stability calculation will be 0$

12. waynep

waynep Junior Member

Appreciate everyone's help. I currently do use Free!ship, and am comfortable with it. I also have a copy of Archimedes but have not used it yet. You have the solution I was looking for at the moment. Many thank you's to all.

13. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

If you need help regarding Archimedes then you can ask here. Its very easy.

14. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Both Delftship and freeship can export to Archimedes and ArchimedesMB

(Added: Oops, someone already posted a similar reply)

15. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Just make sure the package is free to trim. Archimedes wasn't the last time I looked at it .

Is freeship?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.