Project Vaka Fanaua

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm not sure if this has been posted before I did a search with no results. Link from Proafile.

Design brief for Dick Newick

A competitive sailing passenger-cargo boat for outer island communities to run and maintain. Providing affordable, safe, flexible and regular service.

http://talanoa.org/TDP_Development_Projects.html

Attached Files:

2. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

While i am a Newick fan ( who isn't?) - is this try really the best solution?
    People sitting in pop-ups on the wings? For outer islanders - wouldn't a simple ply cat be a better solution, so that they could learn to build/repair it themselves....

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

There might be an advantage in terms of cargo stowage in one large central hull rather than the two outer hulls of a cat? If you stacked cargo on the higher deck of a cat it might lift the centre of gravity to an unnaceptable degree? Not sure just thinking of a few possible reasons. I'm also wondering whether the boom on the front mast can be used as a rudimentary crane to lift heavier cargo into the central hull?

4. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

3 Hulls rather than 2. Schooner rigged cat no problem - use mast as crane.... either.
    The problem i have is that a yard built boat is not maintainable by an outer island community - it should be simple/basic and if built by them (rather than a yard ) - then they would be able to maintain/ repair it themselves?
    Buying 2nd hand would even be a better option cost wise. It's not like they are looking for an "ethnic" option.
    Something like Hans Klaars "ontongjava" would fit the bill at way less cost?
    Polynesians used cats for transport and proa's for speed.....

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I wonder if they are planning a constant camber build, Newick and Brown have introduced workboats before with the locals building. The trimaran might be for better cargo to windward progress. The challenge of commerce in the Pacific would be making ports against the trades.....might be fun.....

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I would have thought loading up cat hulls with cargo would strain the beam structure way beyond a "local technology " solution. Unless you revert back to ropes and flex of course.
    In a tri the main hull structure does all the work.

7. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Can anyone read the specifications for Vaka Fanaua, or know of a link for a higher-resolution image?

Project Vaka Fanāua

Attached Files:

8. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Here is what I can make out

49' length
    30' beam
    16000 lbs weight
    6000 lbs payload
    800 sq feet sail area

strip built hulls ? this might say strip built hull plugs then fiberglass and epoxy, deck and bulkheads double diagonal ? fiberglassed
    ? masts bamboo yards, identical sails

9. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

If a 49' cat can't take 2700kg cargo in it's hulls then i don't know..........

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

A bit of thread necromancy here but there has been considerable progress on this project which is now well on the way to being constructed that I thought there might be some interest in.

http://talanoa.org/TDP_Vaka_Update.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.