Almost Done!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by flydog, Apr 28, 2007.

1. flydog

flydog Junior Member

Then again a good friend told me a wooden boat is never really done. I still need to build the sail rig. I laminated some spruce tonight for the gaff. Right now the varnish for the daggerboard trunk plug is drying. So close, yet so far. Goin for more trout this weekend Timgoz?

flydog

Attached Files:

2. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Hi Flydog, the photos show a really nice example of wood craftsmanship.
    Nearly done is not that accurate if you hope to end up the a self manufactured gaff sloop ready to sail. I notice the centreplate case is installed, have you already made the daggerboard? Some wise author of a wooden boatbuilding book suggested that the first item to be built should be a properly foiled daggerboard or swivelling centreplate, followed by the case, then followed by the rest of the hull. Keep posting with more photos, it looks very interesting.

3. flydog

flydog Junior Member

Daggerboard

I have made the daggerboard (a removeable type) and it has the first coat of sanding sealer on it. I glued two pieces of spruce together last night for the gaff and used polyurethane glue for the first time. Guess what? It foamed up,oozed out and seeped onto the bench partially glueing the spar stock to the bench. That'll teach me not put down plastic sheeting! I was able to free the wood without too much trouble, but part of the bench came up with it.

flydog

Attached Files:

4. rayk

rayk Senior Member

flydog, there is someone lying on the floorboards of your boat. Did they get stuck to the wet varnish like a bug?

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Almost done

Good question Rayk...But I noticed that over three hours had lapsed between first and last Jpg...I want to know what happened in those missing hours...Was the 'foreign' body removed and a new paint job applied ?

But she looks to be an excellent piece of workmanship Flydog. Congratulations.:)

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

She's looking good FD. If I get down your way one of these years I want to go for a sail with you!

I might get out early in the A.M. tomorrow for awhile. Gonna hit a gun show with a friend who just interupted this post with his call. Go look at things I cannot afford:D

TGoz

7. Rusty Bucket

Rusty Bucket Junior Member

Sweet boat

That's a sweet boat there flydog, you inspire me to back to work on mine, thanks, rusty

8. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

That mystery first photo... maybe we'll have to refer to him as lie dog in the future :p

9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Flydog has been pulling our leg all along. If he (she ? ) can build a boat that looks that good, he didn't need all that advice in the past. All's well that ends well. Pretty soon he'd better post some pix of the boat in the water.

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Almost done

In which case it would be 'Flybitch' surely.....
    :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.