Project Help! All are welcome

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by triumph34, Aug 6, 2009.

1. triumph34

triumph34 Junior Member

Hello everyone here on Boatdesign.net.

My Unlce and I are fulfiling a dream of ours building our own fishing vessel. We have an incredible hull with a rotted deck so we are going to build from the hull up. Our hull is a Delta Design manufactured out of Seattle Washington. It is approx 36' in length. Both of us are completely new to this but my Uncle has been a general contractor for quite sometime.

If you would please render suggestions from what type of fiberglass we should use, electronic suggestions (we are thinking Raymarine E-Series), and anything helpful would be absolutley fantastic. We have an idea of our cabin/helm design but I would love to put it in a blueprint style printout. Does anyone know some software I can put this design onto paper digitally. I looked into Free!Ship and Delft software but they appear to be for designing hulls.

Thanks again for all the help. I will have some progress pictures posted soon. I am sure there will be plenty of questions coming. Thanks again.

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

You can use freeship or delftship for designing almost anything; carbody, cabin, deck or whatever. Give it a try. A pencil works great too, but of course it isn't digital except for the fact that it touches your fingers.

3. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Rhino(ceros) also is quite good. And easy to learn: even my boss can handle it ;)
    Fibreglass? Well: E-glass should be fine. Resin: Depends on what you expect: Vinylester or Epoxy are more 'durable' if you think of outer hull repairs. The cheapest resin usually is of the lowest 'quality'.
    Equipment: This is a 'religious' question - some believe in Raymarine, others in Lowrance or in Hummingbird. The established brands are all acceptable.
    It seems that you have not much experience and so my advise is, not to rush into practical work; take your time; study, talk and forum. Make plans how and when to do this and that. I make boats since 23 years and met a lot of do-it-yourselfers who faced problems during their projects because of rushing into production. It would be a pity if you are halfway through and then have to give up or delay. Feel free to ask about details, and enjoy your new boat! Cheers: Hakim