Project Boat, warned of tranny problem. (Velvet Trans)

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by gravesboatwrks, Sep 19, 2013.

1. gravesboatwrks

gravesboatwrks New Member

College student, fairly mechanically inclined. Found 2 1987 PleasureCraft Sunliners for sale at $750.00 for both with trailers. Too good to be true comes to mind, but the guy is a 'good ol boy' and just wants them out of his yard.

The first, short of a little TLC can be made visibly pleasing and I am told is in good shape mechanically. 2.6 Mitisubishi 140 I/O and a Velvet Trans.

The only thing I have been told is that the transmission has 'no forward'.
    Though I have never rebuilt a transmission, I am assuming all I will need to do is rebuild the thing and slap it back in.

The second is a parts boat for the first and aparently had all its good parts stripped and placed into the first.

1st Question: Does a rebuild of the tranny seem like a logical solution to the 'no forward' problem

2nd: In theory I could strip the 2nd hull down to the basics and install any tran/engine combo I want.

Thoughts? Thanks.

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I rebuilt one of my velvet drives. They are really very simple inside if your mechanically minded.
    No forward but goes in reverse?
    Maybe the flow valve that directs the fluid to the clutch, maybe the clutch seal is blown out.

I bought a rebuild kit. All of the internal parts were in good shape. I mean reusable condition.
    This trans was likely original from 1970.
    Mine had a leak. Rust had built up on the inner pump surface and caused the rubber rings to lose its seal ability.

You basically have the oil pump, the flow control selector valve, the clutch piston, the clutch plates and assorted gears. You can buy a book that explains all of this.

After you get it apart, you have to pressurize the clutch piston through the oil port to separate the parts. I used a garden hose for that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.