Project boat, could spend over $10k

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by orca24, Jul 27, 2009.

  1. orca24
    Joined: May 2009
    Posts: 1
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Brisbane

    orca24 New Member

    I have a Pride Albatross aka Caribbean Crestcutter 17ft half cabin, and i paid $2200 for it on a good condition trailer.

    the boat comes with everythin from storm covers, porta potti, paddles, anchor, hand rails, $200 driver seat, aux. motor bracket, ext ladder, transom repaired professionally, hull painted.

    now, things it needs
    *new windows, $1250 supplied and fitted
    *new deck, whatever it will cost me to do.
    *cabin painted $200
    *Steering Kit $280
    *motor (told to buy a new one) must steer away from 2nd hand
    *seat post $130
    *nav lights $30

    Now this will cost me over $10k with a new motor, close to $15k.
    Is this going to be worth it, having looked at other boats around this age and quality they are around the $10-$15k bracket, and little 14-15ft going from $4k - $8k

    Some haines of same era as the boat i have, are around $19k, im just in 2 minds about keeping it or selling it and buying something in a few yrs around the $25k

    What would you do?
     
  2. marshmat
    Joined: Apr 2005
    Posts: 4,127
    Likes: 146, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 2043
    Location: Ontario

    marshmat Senior Member

    Hi orca, welcome aboard :)

    If you found a $2200 boat and that list is all that it needs, you've lucked out. It sounds like you have a decent equipment set already on board. And most of what you describe should be fairly straightforward; if you're mechanically inclined, you can probably do all of it yourself and not have to pay the yard $50 an hour or whatever.

    But....

    What do you mean by "new deck"? Does this mean new paint/nonskid, new wood, or rebuilding the whole deck structure? The first case is cheap and quick, the second not too expensive but rather tedious... but if you need structural repairs to the deck, be prepared for a lot of expensive, tedious rebuilding.

    And, what's wrong with a second-hand outboard? OK, I'll admit that a late '90s model won't be as smooth, quiet or clean as a 2009 model, but dude, it's a 17' daysailer/overnighter. You're only talking about eight or ten horsepower. They're hard to find on the used market, but they last quite a long time; many folks still run early 1980s outboards.
     
  3. mydauphin
    Joined: Apr 2007
    Posts: 2,164
    Likes: 52, Points: 48, Legacy Rep: 575
    Location: Florida

    mydauphin Senior Member

    A good second hand 2stroke will last many many years. I have a boat from 1953 and the engine from 1970. They both work every single time, no problems and I have had boat for 5 years. Unknown the number of hours on both. Used boats and motors are the way to go. Get someone that know motors to look for you or pay a little more and buy it from your local boat mechanic. They sometimes get them from customers that want to upgrade and turn in their engines with nothing wrong with them.
     

  4. PAR
    Joined: Nov 2003
    Posts: 19,133
    Likes: 472, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 3967
    Location: Eustis, FL

    PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

    Orca, this isn't the boat for you. Spend 80% of the amount you would for a boat of this class and use the remaining 20% to "dress" it up.

    If you go into a boat project with this many questions and needs, plus are on line getting answers, you're in over your head. Nothing personal, but you'll be much better off with a boat that is functioning, maybe in need of some minor care. This boat is a train wreck looking for a sucker, I mean new owner to come along.
     
Loading...
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.