Profile Drag Coefficient

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dtoshni, Jun 19, 2008.

1. dtoshni

dtoshni Junior Member

I am in a fix. Can a body have two different drag coefficients for forward and backward motion? Because, I was investigationg the case of this diving vehicle and throufh my calculation I ended up getting Cd = 0.39 and 0.86 for upward and downward motion respectively(ie keeping the profiler aligned in +z direction, two different Cd for motion along +z and -z). Is it normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you :)

Daniel T

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Yes. Anemometers rely on this principle.

Not sure about your example though. You would need to explain more about what you are doing.

Rick W.

3. dtoshni

dtoshni Junior Member

Thank you Rick.

I was investigating the case of this vehicle, a profiler(autonomous) that goes down with the help of a thruster and when it has to come up it comes up due to its positive buoyancy, It essentially travels in one dimension only. and it points towards downward direction only.

Daniel

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

5. dtoshni

dtoshni Junior Member

Thanks a lot Rick!! :) The link helped a lot. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.