repower from gas to diesel for under 500

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by angel187, May 13, 2013.

1. angel187

angel187 Junior Member

I am a sailboat owner, and my old sailboat came with a vire7 7hp gas 2 stroke. Overheating, scale, and hard starting problems i have decided to scrap it.

The motor i picked up was a thermal king hk3. Unlike most refer and heat units this one allows a variable throttle. The motor itself is a yanmar 298, 11 hp 2 cyl and weighs 25 lbs more then the clunky vire.

Motor has a 30 amp alt, separate water pump and a fabricated bracket for the sea water pump.

Heat is important because this unit likes to run at its desired temp. Pumping water right out of the lake into the water pump is not a good idea. This problem was overcome by adding a heat ex changer. The one i picked was a solid stainless model used for refrigeration 350psi model with one inch outlets.

The actual mechanics of the tranny is quiet simple. Its a fluid cone drive system. Since the back end of the tranny was the motor, and the shaft that ran into the crankshaft had a butterfly end on it. I has a whole block machines and a shaft machines with the butterfly end.

Attached is the tranny conversion picture.

Adding gauges was in itself difficult. Yanmar reefer units are not built with gauges as there all automatic. I found that a Jeep wrangler heat gauge will thread in and work with mercury diesel display. The tachometer is wired to a flywheel sensor that the HK2 Already uses. By counting the teeth the tachometer can be calibrated.

[​IMG]

Next was the mounting of the tranny to the motor... the front of the tranny pic at the bottom of this thread shows 2 mounting holes at the bottom. I used some 1/8 inch steel and custom bent a mounting bracket. It was then welded to the orginal mounting frame of the yanmar reefer unit. I then plasma cut the orginal frame feet to a smaller diameter and rewedded. below is the top view.

[​IMG]

Fuel system. Fuel pump and fuel filter. Notice the Carrier refrigeration name on the pump? Lines were extended and replaced where needed. Diesel needs a return line, on this system return is on the low pressure side of the fuel filter.

[​IMG]

This pic shows the fuel system as well as the heat ex-changer. The point of the heat ex-changer is to run antifreeze in the motor, most antifreeze has a lubrication value and most water pumps like the one on this motor will not pump water because the pump is above the waterline. I added a self primeing belt drivin water pump and fabracted the brackets.

[​IMG]

Pic of the motor itself. I found i needed a 36" belt vs the old 21". I added a line at the bottom (red hose) for ease of oil changes. Added a relay bank to power up the solenoids, starter and glow plugs. I have exact wiring if someone else has questions regarding this setup.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. angel187

angel187 Junior Member

This conversion is running, Pics were taken as work was being completed. Since then all wiring has been cleaned up and old wiring for the electronics have been removed.

Motor runs at "normal" temp with garden hose as water source. I also have the "Machine plans" for the tranny and the mount to the motor. I left the vibration damper the flywheel and didnt see the need for removing it.

Total cost.
    Heat exchanger 30$
    Yanmar hk2 150$
    Rad lines 60$
    Custom exhaust 15$
    Motor mounts 25$
    Guages 45$ (ebay)
    Wire 60$
    Machine alum for tranny and machine steel for vibration damper 200$

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

4. angel187

angel187 Junior Member

Thank you sir....

1 person likes this.
  5. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Love it !!!!

6. angel187

angel187 Junior Member

Thank you parkland. I did a lot of googleing to see if it can be done.. the most common responce was no. And its way to much money.. this retofit is quiet compared to the gas counterpart, starts within one revolutation and better on fuel.

And 1/4 the cost of the comparable marine yanmar.....

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Yanmar hk2 150$

Used always beats marine dealer new on cost.

Most folks will use these old truck reefer motors as part of a home brew genset.

Since the are made to operate with no care from the truck driver many will have a huge oil pan ,a bit harder to fit in a boat , but just great for engine life!

8. angel187

angel187 Junior Member

It does have a huge oilpan, to make it fit better i re welded all the mounting hardware and shortened total width by 8 inches. In the hull it is 3 inches bigger then the factory gas motor.

9. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

You Sir, would be a handy one to have around/as a friend. Especially when one gets into one of those "what if" or "let's try this" modes :)

10. essenmein

essenmein Junior Member

Interesting tid bit on the "most refers don't give you access to the throttle".

I usually keep my eye out for cheap refers (and old in need of love marine engine+trany) because I plan on building a small inboard diesel cruiser at some point. But i did not know you can't change the governor rpm.... That kinda makes reefers less interesting.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.