PROCYON project........a Bold experiment

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by brian eiland, Mar 8, 2006.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Do a search on this forum for "canting keels" in quotes. One subject thread you will come up with HERE

2. tharron

tharron New Member

Winged Canting Keel

Thanks for the information. What I am specifically looking for is an explanation why a winged canting keel doesn't work, keeping in mind that it would be an Open 60 as the subject. What I have come up with is that it is like an airplane with trim allocated to one wing or perhaps trying to turn your car left by opening your drivers side door. Is it an effect of a-symetrical co-effiecent drag. Any info would help.

3. Nessumsar

Nessumsar Junior Member

Procyon For Sale

To: Olaf Harken

Your Procyon is for sale and currently listed on YachtWorld.com.

exact address: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1991/Windship-Sloop-1719774/Ft.-Lauderdale/FL/United-States

She is listed @ $699,000 USD.

I hope you get her back.

Sincerely,
    Eric A. Rasmussen

In addition,

To: Brian Eiland

That Taller Wishbone Rig you are interested in, is for sale as well.

This is the listing: 47' Kevlar/Epoxy Sailboat, Price Reduced
    Reply to: sale-c9n9f-1306508056@craigslist.org
    Date: 2009-08-04, 8:36PM

PRICE REDUCED!!!! OWNER OUT OF STATE WANTS IT SOLD....35hp BMW D-35 diesel engine, 6'5" headroom throughout. One of two built in Port Townsend, 1990. 5 layers of Kevlar, incredibly strong hull. Fast ocean cruiser. Recession priced for fast sale. Boat can be seen on the hard at Nelsons Marina, 1500 Ferry Point, Alameda. Call Chad at 877-517-8281 or Art at 360-477-6585. Serious inquires only please. HURRY, THIS WON'T LAST LONG AT THIS PRICE...........

This listing is now dead but was recent on CraigsList.org .

Hope You Find This Helpfull !

Sincerely,
    Eric A. Rasmussen

p.s. Have you read Roger Marshalls book "The Complete Guide to Choosing a Cruising Sailboat" (ISBN 0-07-041998-1)?

On Pages 209 - 210 he outlines a Concept Cruiser with a Roller-Furled Cutter Rig that has a Forward Canted Bipod Mast. The main sheet is boomless. ER

4. brian eiland

Just an outline....no illustrations??

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dovel and KFOIL

========================
    Andy Dovel in Australia came up with the idea of fixed wings* on a canting keel bulb that eliminates the requirement for other forms of extra lateral resistance like dual toed in asymetrical daggerbords(VO70's),single daggerboards and CBTF(twin rotating foils)-he said it worked real well on Atomic and has used it on several boats.
    I devised a patented system called KFOIL that utilizes a wing or wings that retract into the bulb to reduce resistance downwind. A company in Denmark may be using a similar system. Wings on the canting keel bulb opens up a lot of interior space that would be lost otherwise.

*Procyon was first with this feature but Andy's were much higher aspect ratio....

Attached Files:

6. Nessumsar

Nessumsar Junior Member

Roger Marshalls Bipod Rig

Dear Brian,

Yes there are several illustrations of the rig from the starboard side, head-on and an overhead from the port bow isometric drawing, as well as an interior drawing from the same perspective.

209 & 210 (except for the index pages) are the last two pages in the book.

Sorry for the delayed answer but my Mother has been in the Hospital.

Oh by the way they had that Mast-Aft Wishbone rig listed @ $28,500.00 seems pretty cheap. Do you know how much it had sold for last time ?

The price is intriguing but I am really looking for a cat. A little hard to find the right boat at the right price on the west coast.

If you don't have access to the book I can scan those two pages for you and email them.

Sincerely,
    Eric A. Rasmussen

7. brian eiland

I don't have the book so scans would help... likely you could just post them here

8. Nessumsar

Nessumsar Junior Member

Roger Marshall's Bipod Mast Cutter Rig

Dear Brian,

I hope I don't get in trouble over Rogers Copyrights.

Maybe he will get some more book sales !

Enjoy !

Sincerely,
    Eric

p.s. Please let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

9. brian eiland

I think that is likely...more book sales. It is not as though you made an extensive copy job...just enough to create temptation.

BTW what is the date this book was published?

Interesting, I had not seen this variation of the idea before.

10. Nessumsar

Nessumsar Junior Member

Dear Brian,

This book was published in 1999 by International Marine (a Div. of McGraw-Hill).

Do you know how much that Tall Mast Aft Wish-Bone Rig sold for last ?

Sincerely,
    Eric

11. brian eiland

12. jnbluejr

jnbluejr New Member

13. brian eiland

AquaSpace's bi-pod A-frame rig

Here is an interesting project that preceeded Procyon by quite a number of years...not exactly after the same goals, but interesting in its own right with the use of a bi-pod, A-frame mast.

http://www.aquaspace-bonaire.com/ship.html

This vessel was just brought to our attention over on this other forum for multihulls.

"The Aquaspace was designed in 1978 and built in 1982 by Jacques Rougerie, co-worker of world-known marine biologist Jacques Cousteau. After having served as a Center of Marine Biology Studies, it now offers great sailing charter in the waters around diver's paradise Bonaire."

Interesting concept to combine an underwater viewing vessel with a sailing experience.

I wonder how long she has operated in Bonaire, as it speaks to her rig's durability if you know of the power of the trade winds down there.

Attached Files:

14. Koch

Koch Junior Member

Procyon

Hi all,

Yes Procyon languished here in the Tampa Bay area for a while. I don't know what happened to her. I can confirm that OH Rodgers was the project manager in the building of the boat, and he had told me at the time that the initial keel canting design was faulty and he had to redesign it, and later did a shallower keel.

Off topic; the threads on the old tonners / IOR boats are fascinating, and bring back many old memories. I'll add a bit to them when I get a chance. While some of those old boats deserve their evil reputation, many were absolutely wonderful sailing and seaworthy yachts, probably the nicest being the Holland 40 "Regardless" (originally another name, I think?), which made several trans Atlantic crossings, nearly won the One-Ton Worlds (30.5) many years after being originally built, and won the SORC IMS Division in 1987 while still in IOR trim (and beating the then new IOR 30.5 IOR boats boat for boat in several races despite starting 20 minutes later).

15. Newlight

Newlight New Member

Procyon

New member here. Was doing a search on Procyon and found this thread. I acquired a 1" = 1' model of this boat awhile ago and was searching for information on her. Are there any boat plans available for Procyon? I am attempting to rig the model according to original specs as she has been dissasembled and crated. Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.