Type of bow...what is it

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gharr8, Oct 16, 2006.

1. gharr8

gharr8 Junior Member

There is a type of bow that i would like to know the name of. I am familiar with a compound clipper bow, for example.
    This bow is a straight line from the water to the deck, with a little anlge forward. The distinction is that the top of the bow is the highest point of the freeboard and the remaining freeboard is shorter as the deck goes aft,. And of course, the deck also slopes downward too. So the appearance of the boat is that the bow sits higher that the rest of the boat. Not dramaticly, but noticebly.

Does this type of bow have a name????

Thanks, i hope this question makes sense....lol

gh

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

You are just talking about the sweep of the sheer. The forward slope to the cutwater and the staving of the foredeck is sometimes refered to as an Atlantic bow. The sweeping up the sheer forward is actually an effect of the margin line requirements.

3. gharr8

gharr8 Junior Member

bow-

thanks for the infomation, jerhardiman. that was the info I was looking for.

gh

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.