New Configuration for Catamaran Foils

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Excerpt from Designer: (Read whole story here: www.catsailingnews.com )

Carl-Johan Soder:

"I have developed a conceptual F18 ”hybrid” that would be great if you would like to post - perhaps someone may get interested in building it..
    Main feature is the self stabilizing foil configuration that fit into straight cases. In contradiction to e.g. the A.C. configuration these foils moves the centre of lift outwards which increases the righting lever and thus the power. In addition, the efficiency of producing vertical lift with this configuration is higher.

e-mail I sent to Carl Johan today:
    I know that the TNZ foils work with leeway coupling with backup surface breaching of the foil tip. I’m curious how your foil works-does it use leeway coupling in some new way? Please respond on the forum if possible or just e-mail me.
    ===================
    Tom Speers explanation of leeway coupling: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/hy...r-design-foil-assist-full-flying-40894-4.html (on TNZ type hydrofoils--post 49)

click-

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dario Valenza's illustration of pressure on TNZ type foils:

click for best view--

Attached Files:

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

My biggest question about the new configuration is: won't the fact that it has high and low pressure on the same side cause a lot of drag?
    Compare the sketch below with Darios sketches above:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.