Proa Questions: Atlantic vs Pacific

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Inquisitor, Jun 22, 2010.

1. captainsideburn

captainsideburn Junior Member

2. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

Like it !!! Like the name too.... Almost the return of Jzero?
    Maybe he'll do another - wtw or harry - then can call it sanity?:p
    Will be watching developments.

3. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Let the Games begin. Finally an RB designed proa, which is presumably going to lead to plans? If so we could see a rapid inundation of the waterfront in proas. Well, relatively.

4. Clarkey

Clarkey Senior Member

My first thought was "that is basically Jzero"! Probably the nearest we will ever get to a Russ Brown plan set. Not too big, not too small and every element of it proven to work. Maybe this is to proas what the Tiki 21 is to cats?

Perhaps the only part I am not sure of are the 'forestay(s)' attachments - they seem to be cantilevered out of the side of the hull. Still, if it lets you re-use all of a standard beachcat rig then that is fine by me and I don't suppose that they would be any less rigid than a cat bridle.

ETA I clearly misinterpreted the drawing - the jibs are tacked down to the hull. What are the sticky-out bits for then?

5. Inquisitor

Inquisitor BIG ENGINES: Silos today... Barn Door tomorrow!

My Little Mule

Since someone brought up a design/build going on, I thought I'd follow suit with a HarryProa style effort going on and post my progress. My Little Mule.

6. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

7. Clarkey

Clarkey Senior Member

Perhaps they are for sheeting?

Actually, looking at the drawings of Madness again, it occurs to me that the rig can't shunt. The 'not in use forestay' would prevent the main being eased. I suppose the jibs could be set flying but then you can't use roller furlers to speed up handling - and there is nothing holding the mast up from one side!

I appreciate the beachcat rig was just plonked on for illustrative purposes but how can one be made to work in practice? Am I missing something?

ETA: I got a response from the designer on another forum - I was missing a couple of things; the fixed forestays clear the main and the jibs are set flying. This boat looks great - nice to see an alternative aesthetic in high performance multihulls.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.