Principles of yacht design v5

Discussion in 'Education' started by pironiero, Oct 8, 2021.

?

is it enough?

1. enough

33.3%
  2. not enough(put suggestions in replies)

66.7%
  1. pironiero

pironiero Senior Member

I have a very simple question, is this book enough for building a 32ft hull using mold and resin infusion method or I need to get some other books about the topic?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

No one in human history, as far as I know, has been able to build a ship just by reading a book. It would be miraculous, worthy of the deepest admiration. No, that book, nor many more, are enough to build a 32 ft long boat.
    I would tell you that a person without books but with experience could build that boat, but on the contrary it is not possible, a person with books and without experience is not capable of building anything.

Kayakmarathon likes this.
  3. pironiero

pironiero Senior Member

yeah, i meant hull
    ill try to prove you wrong in a couple of years

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I will have no problem admitting my mistake if you are able to prove it.
    What type of boat, what construction system are you going to use? I suppose that previously you will do the project, you will find someone to do it or you will buy an existing project.
    If you need it and it is in my hands, I will be happy to help you.
    Good luck with your idea and enjoy doing it.

5. pironiero

pironiero Senior Member

that sandwich stuff

i helped my father to build his 38ft cold molded boat, but it was really long ago

i have nothing going on in my life, no family, not much friends and stuff, got bored out of my current hobbies, might as well try to do something that worth while.
    [​IMG]
    im not out of options but even the thought of building something substantial makes me feel good, so yeah gotta do what you gotta do

6. Tedd McHenry

Tedd McHenry Junior Member

Principles of Yacht Design is excellent, but it mainly covers parametric design. It doesn't say a lot about structure, and not even all that much about loads. You'll need other references to help you design the scantlings, estimate rigging loads, and other design details. I'm sure it will also serve you well to become familiar with some relevant standards, such as ISO 12215. (Though I say that as someone who is not yet familiar with any of the standards!)

7. Kayakmarathon

Kayakmarathon Junior Member

Try something a little more simple like a wood strip canoe or kayak from a kit as a refresher course in construction methods and tools. If your hear is in sailing, then build a small sailboat. You won't have to wait as long to use you new boat, and you will feel better schooner. ( I just had to pun)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.