Principles of Yacht Design as design manual???

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DCockey, Oct 13, 2011.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I deliberately chose to use "recent" rather than "current" since a design can be "recent" without being "current".

The Third Edition of PYD, published in 2007, covers bulb keels (pp 118-122) in about as much depth as it covers most other topics.

Someone who has a good understanding of the principles of rig design and the associated calculations should be deal with different configurations. PYD does show a number of configurations in the chapter on rig construction.

Perhaps some look at the graphs and formulas in PYD and assume it can be treated as a recipe for designing a sailboat without any other references and knowledge needed. I am not one of them.

2. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

I doubt if chainplates on plating could be as easily designed as "put them on the bulkhead". All the stuff like this I did see so far, had quite some reinforcement around them.

3. Joakim

Joakim Senior Member

These boats are not lighter nor do they have better stability than the previous generation of C/R boats like First 31.7/36.7, X-362 Sport and Elan 31.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.