Down East designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bucketlist, Dec 19, 2021.

1. bucketlist

bucketlist Junior Member

I am now in the market for a new boat ( I had the Ranger Tug repaired - my cost - and have sold it , thanks everyone for your help on that matter ) . I have been looking at the Cape Islander and Northumberland designs . Looking at used models like Samson , Provincial , Doucette , Donelle etc ( Nova Scotia and PEI ) . Lots of Maine built boats also .
    Any opinions on the two designs ? Cape Islander's are straight Displacement hull only ( i believe ) . They all seem to be built very substantial in the hull build . Thanks

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

It depends on what definition you use for "Cape Islander" boats and how you define a "straight displacement hull". Do you mean round bottom rather than v-bottom?

The shapes of the both the Cape Islander/Novi and Maine "Downeast" boats have been evolving for since the early 2oth century and continue to evolve. There is not a class association with rules for what can be called a Downeast or a Cape Islander/Novi boat.

Compared to Maine Downeast boats the Cape Islander/Novi boats typically have a straight, close to vertical stem with a more angular forefoot. Many older Cape Islander/Novi boats have a stepped sheerline which is almost never seen in a Maine built Downeast boat. Other Cape Islander/Novi boats have a very pronounced "cowhorn" sheer, more than seen in most Maine built Downeast boats.

What size boat are you interested in? How will it be used?

bajansailor likes this.
  3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Can you back up a little and write a statement of requirements? Pretty wide array between a displacement and planing vessel.

would include trailerable; moored or not, winter plans, speed/range desired, hull requirements after your nightmare, to name a few

downeast styling can be in the sor

bajansailor likes this.

4. bucketlist

bucketlist Junior Member

Ideal size would be 32- 35 ft with a 12-13 ft beam . I have been looking at a pleasure boat ,extended summer cruising ( anchor out mostly ) . Not looking for '' yacht '' finish , just comfortable , clean and low maintenance ( no outside teak ) . Wife likes to go fast ( 15-20 ) I don't mind 8-10 . Could be a compromise of semi displacement if you like to burn a bunch of fuel ( she worries about beating a storm ) . Used mostly in the Great Lakes .
    I am told the Northumberland Strait boats can get speed with 450 hp diesel . I looked at a nice 28 x11 ft beam , fairly roomy , displacement with 225 hp diesel which might work ( wife won't like 8 knot cruise ) . Does not have a bow thruster , which I would want to add .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.