priming fuel lines

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by gabriel, Jun 30, 2014.

1. gabriel

gabriel Junior Member

Hi every one

Reading the original manual of my Bertram i found out that the boat originally had a priming pump installed .this pump primed all the lines ( engine and Generators) in case of replacing strainers, filters or if running out of fuel.
    I happen to see that the pump and switch are no longer there.

I would like to re install the priming system as originally was.

Can you please tell me what kind of pump should I use in this case so that I can install it in place and be able to prime any fuel line at any time.

Thanks
    Gabriel

2. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

Reading the manual? Theres your problem!

Automotive fuel pumps are cheap enough so you could do that.

Might be that it was never fitted to your particular boat?

Many Diesels have a manual priming pump which serves that purpose and you can actually feel if you're sucking air or pumping fuel. If this feature was on later engines, after the manual had been written, they may have left it off at the factory.

If you do decide to fit one, don't forget to fit a fuse or breaker and it would be better to use a momentary (hold for ON) switch so it doesn't get left on

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I use aftermarket automotive electronic pumps. If they fail, the pump will free flow and not cause an obstruction.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.