Strongplank material

Discussion in 'Materials' started by dtortarolo, Jan 4, 2009.

1. dtortarolo

dtortarolo New Member

I'm designing a cruiser/racer sailboat 40' long, I heard about Strongplank materials, I find some information on the net, but I did not find anything about the product maker. Is some body on this forum could help me about this technology and where to get the product?
    Thanks for your help

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Strongplank is no more...

However, one of our clients was highly depending on Strongplank, and he bought the machines to produce it. To cut a long story short, actually we are now doing it for him.

I have not put together a new website yet, but if anyone wants info, I can send it.

4. GML

GML New Member

I am considering buying a large catamaran made from strongplank and any information about this material would be gratefully received. Thanks

5. Herman

Herman Senior Member

What info do you need? One of my customers owns the machinery to produce it, and has a website (only in Dutch):

www.everstrip.nl

Contact him for more info.

In general, a very sturdy material, which produces good boats.

6. GML

GML New Member

Many thanks, I will contact everstrip. I had the impression it was no longer in use and thought there may be a reason but I am reassured by your comments.
    Regards

7. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Strongplank ceased production, however not from a structural point of view.

Everstrip bought the machinery to do it, but together with Everstrip we developed a more clean and cost effective production for producing the strips.

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Herman, please enlighten us on the nature of strongplank/Everstrip, I'm assuming its a foam-uniglass stripping material but keen to know more, I looked at the website but my understanding of Dutch is very limited. Regards from Jeff

9. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Basicly, it is a foam core (Airex C70.55 if I recall correctly) which has biax (±45) and uni fibers around it. Impregnated with polyester resin, and sanded after cure.

I am not able to access my files right now, but I will see what I can come up with later.

10. sissi

sissi New Member

11. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Prisma preforms are for quickly applying a reinforcing grid in a production boat. There are also more simple shapes, which reinforce a hull shell. But you need a shell first! And that is where Everstrip comes in...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.