Cross 18 Sail Plan?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by neomastino, Sep 24, 2008.

1. neomastino

neomastino Junior Member

I've been kicking around build ideas for a year or so now, with lots of input form the forum members. I just stumbled on the Cross 18 design. http://mysite.verizon.net/res78939/id3.html

I'm not sure that this is the right design for me, but I do find the concept intriguing. ( I've been coresponding with Chris Ostlind about a couple of his designs, and have pretty much decided on one of his designs.) Construction of the Cross design looks to be pretty straight forward, it is trailerable, and I have room in my garage to build something like this. My question is about the rig. In size and shape, it looks much like a standard beach cat rig. Why couldn't a rig from a Hobie 16 or 18 be substituted? The reason I ask is that in my area, there are always used Hobies available for next to nothing. The boats themselves are usually rough looking cosmetically, but the masts and booms are good, and the sails are typuically stored inside in a bag, so they are good as well. I'll admit that my knowledge of sailing rigs and design is not great (ok, it's next to nothing). Someone with knowledge about these things tell me why this is or isn't a good idea. Thanks!

2. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

The rig on the boat pictured looks very much like a Hobie 18 rig. If you can build it to the 400 pound target, that is close to what a H18 weighs so you should be close.

Chris can advise you on what rigs will fit his designs.

3. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Yep! :)

You certainly can use one of those rigs.You can check your CE of your sail
    and place the centre board below it , but should be close anyway , as is.
    A Hobie 16 ( 218 sq ft ) is plenty big for a small tri like the Cross 18.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.