price of aluminum ,u.s. versus asia

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by korvello, Dec 21, 2006.

1. korvello

korvello Senior Member

HI: i have found 2.80$ per pound price in the u.s. for aluminum and around 2.00$ in asia....does anyone knows of better prices and where? and is anyone building a catamaran in asia,if so how much can you expect to save and where are you building?..............thank you K

2. Lyle Creffield

Lyle Creffield Junior Member

Aluminum world prices

Hi

I am interested to know the best world price also

In Australia we use 5083 (H116 m pl) i was quoted $7.40 Aud per kg for a 4000kg purchase of 10mm plate (Sept. 06) @ 7.40 / 1.27 = $5.82 usd per kg

$2.80 per lb (2.2lb per 1kg), 1.27 x 6.16 = $7.80 Aud plus shipping, $6.16 usd per kg

Strongall (France) quotes Euro 3.05 per kg in 2000 (old)

Aud 3.05 x 1.68 = $ 5.12

Usd 3.05 x 1.32 = $ 4.02

China's increase in production has been suggested to reduce Ally costs by 10% in the next two years

I have searched for prices but alass was unable to find more on the net

Contributions would be appreciated

3. korvello

korvello Senior Member

aluminum price

HI: I've found 4000 u.s. dollars for ton in china ....look in [alibaba].....but still looking for better...10 mm !!!what are you building.. please keep me posted if you find better prices.. 5083 versus 5086 wich is better do you know?...can someone help in that?.......................thank you K

4. Lyle Creffield

Lyle Creffield Junior Member

ally costs

Hi

Hard chine 15m, 15tonne, sloop 10 mm hull (save much labour for alittle asthectics, see www.strongall)

Why 10mm? - robust, anyone can weld to it without distortion, about 65% the weight of steel, with a little care will out last most vessels afloat today, high resale value,

aim is to build my yacht, do the boat shows in Aust. and commericially produce to any stage,
    Stage one - hull and deck (300mm from rail) only, in 30 days, > $60 000 AUD

1.5m model is nearing completion (plywood)

5083 is the pick, Aus builders support this

5. korvello

korvello Senior Member

aluminum ?

Hi L.C... I like it i i've heard of a lot people building hulls with 5mm up to 65feet 7\8mm up to 85feet i intend to build a 48 by 24cat and was looking to have 7 to 8 mm hulls but i like the distortion free welding and i'll look into it....will 10mm stop a bullet ? ....if you're going comercial than you can get even better deals in aluminum i'm sure one can get 3500 to3700 us$ per ton i've been quoted 3800 plus around 120 per ton for shipping....good luck K

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.