Pretty Disgusting

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by lewisboats, Feb 24, 2013.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

So thats where all those Wallmart plastic shoes are coming from, thru the food chain to alligator skin -- It's the "cat" in the cradle syndrome -- who said nature wasn't smart :D

P.S. Just killin time here waiting for that old wood stove to warm up the shop -- time is up --off to boat work --Ya All Have a good day --Geo.

3. hoytedow

Rain here today. Cancelled boat trip. Same back at you.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

When asked at the local store if I want paper or plastic bags, I always prefer plastic, because I'd rater then chop down a polymer tree, then an oak.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Over the years, and a fair bit of fishing, I got into the habit of examining the contents of fish guts to see what they had been feeding on. Helps in choosing suitable baits ! Found all kind of unlikely (biological)things, but never any bits of plastic so far as I could see.

6. PAR

The first fish I catch always gets it's belly contents looked, for the same reason. I've found a rare few bits of non-biologic stuff, but all bits of metal they thought palatable. If you're a metal eater, you haven't any right to ***** about plastics.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Lead poisoning...lead shot from duck hunters...is a curse in many areas. Birds, fish and animals higher up the food chain are affected.

Plastic is simply impossible to avoid in modern life. When I go grocery shopping I end up with more plastic packaging than food..

I just stopped by the marine store for a blister pack of 6 ss rivets..again, more plastic than product. .

Hopefully the chemists come up with plastics that rapidly decompose in UV or plastics that are so expensive that the consumer recycles them.

8. PAR

The do have plastics like that, made from sugar.

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Environmentally friendly plastic or packaging should be labeled or colour coded so the consumer recognizes it. The only way to stop pollution is consumer education

10. hoytedow

If bio-degradable plastic were to be color coded some unscrupulous manufacturer would simply add colorant to the other pull the wool over the eyes of the consumer.