Helicopter pad?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by RDB, Apr 10, 2006.

1. RDB

RDB Junior Member

Has anyone had any experience designing a helicopter pad? Specifically around impact loads?

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

I would be AMAZED if there were no published specs for this - consider looking at ABS/Lloyds/DNV etc. for offshore oil rigs, etc.
    Steve

3. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

RDB “Boat international” magazine for march 2006 has an article on helicopters and pads, its not a tech article but it does have weights and rotor radii’s of a lot of helicopters.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

RDB, I think our own navy has perhaps the world's most thorough experience with impact loads on helicopter pads! ;)
    In general, helicopters tend to be pretty light- but when they come down quick, all that weight (and downward momentum) is applied on a very small landing gear area. The biggest thing with a helipad is getting enough clearance around it to safely bring the chopper in; only a very skilled pilot can safely land on a pad where side clearance is less than twice the rotor diameter. Keep big safety factors in the pad structure itself, and build the structures around it strong enough to handle a rotor failure. I'm afraid I don't have any quantitative values for this; Steve's suggestion to look at oil-rig scantlings is probably a good starting point.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.