Wood for Boat Building

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Haroonsattar, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Haroonsattar

Haroonsattar Junior Member

Hello Every Body

My employer in Doha, Qatar requires wood for boats in large quantity / annually.
    Technical and Commercial proposal from any part of the world will be considered seriously.

Best regards to all,
    Haroon Sattar
    msharoon@qatar.net.qa

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Sorry I cannot provide the exact solution you need, but may I
    commend avoiding deforesting the last of the tropical rainforests, and look into sourcing Kirri or Pawlonia from China - a light, fast growing very rot resistant timber that has many plantations coming on line around the world (even here in australia) over the next few years.
    If you search this site and/or the web there are quite a few details about its properties.

I feel the boat building world needs to start conciously avoiding all but plantation timbers in these uncertain environmental times.

Good luck in your projects.

3. Haroonsattar

Haroonsattar Junior Member

Dear Mr Watson
    Thanks for your sincere advice. I will certainly look for Kirri / Pawlonia and contact directly some source in China too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.