Powering 30ft cat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by MarkM, Nov 18, 2008.

1. MarkM

MarkM Junior Member

Hi!

Got an unknown 9,2x3,3 m symmetric cat hull. I think it is russian or ukrainian production but prod/model year is unknown. Weight is about 5 tons, maybe bit more, hull seems to be prismatic. Can anybody give good advice about powering. Some good rule of thumb for this? Say, if I expect speed 25...30 kn. I am wondering, if 2 x150hp would be enough.
    Thanks for kind advice!

PS. Talking about 2 x outboard.

2. sandy daugherty

sandy daugherty Senior Member

Do I understand you correctly to say you have a catamaran that is about 30 feet' long and has a 10 foot beam over all? What is the max beam of the individual hulls? Is this a bare hull, or is there a deck and interior accomodations?

3. MarkM

MarkM Junior Member

It's a landing craft type of arrangement. Small wheelhouse on aft deck and nothing more. B of each hull is about 1/3 of B overall, that means about 1m. I do not have any experience with cats, because of this I am bit confused.