stringer building help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by codebluefishing, Sep 11, 2006.

1. codebluefishing

codebluefishing New Member

Hello all,
    I am new to this forum and new to boat rebuilding. I have built many things from FRP and know the use of the products. The area I lack knowledge in is boat structural mechanics.
    I have a 1991 Dusky 256 CC which I recently acquired. The stringers are rotten. I love the hull design and want to rebuild this boat better than new. I need help in replacing the stringers. As far as I can tell, there are only 2 main longitudinal stringers in this hull. They appear to be made of 2X material and covered in fiberglass. They weren't sealed well and ultimately rotted. I have read all that I can and have discerned a few things that I would like you to help me clarify.
    1) Is it true that the stringer wood should never be in direct contact with the hull?
    2) Will the hull loose shape if I remove the entire wood/glass composite stringer before replacement?
    3) If I remove the wood from the fiberglass capsule; could I pour foam in the cavity and recover with fiberglass?
    4) Is woven roving 24oz cloth acceptable for covering stringers? I have lots of it and would love to use it.

Any help with these topics and any additional information or tips I can get would be greatly appreciated.
    Additionally, I would like to strengthen the Hull/Inner liner area. There seems to be some possibility of irritating rattling noise because of the space between the 2 structures. I considered removing the inner liner and adding glass to the inside of the outer hull to make the hull one piece. Is there anything wrong with that idea? I love this boat and really want to build it right and build it only once. I want the thing to be solid, sound and eternal. thanks.

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

my stringers or ( longituinals) are glud directly to the hull, this was per print from john brandlmayr, dont mean it is the only way .but these boats have been around since 1967 or so ,and havent seen anything wrong with it, but my boat is plywood construction and many other factors may applie,,,,,Im sure you will get some help here , these guys are great,,,,,,,longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.