PWC steering system

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by james.c.a., Jun 13, 2008.

1. james.c.a.

james.c.a. Junior Member

i am building a jet-ski as a hobby although i am having problems on determining how to create the steering system. does anyone have an idea on what kind of materials i should use to make the handle bars (preferentially GRP), how to connect the handle bars (bearings/slots into a tube?) and how to make it watertight? any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. diverdon

diverdon Junior Member

You plan to fab the handle bars from scratch? I would adapt a used set from a old PWC, snowmobile or motorcycle. Many Harley Davidson dealer stock a large selection of bars so you could peruse some there.

3. james.c.a.

james.c.a. Junior Member

Thanks for the idea, I've contacted a few PWC manufacturers who were unable to help. I'll have a look at bike handle bars although i plan to create the whole prototype from scratch with new components. I've built the body and fitted the internal components, just slightly confused on how to connect watertight bars with a throttle cable running through the centre?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.