Pram lawnmower trailer

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by kayakn, Mar 30, 2008.

1. kayakn

kayakn Junior Member

I have an 8' pram and i want to make a trailer for it that i can attach to my lawnmower. any ideas of what shape, what materials, any other things i need to know??? all i need to do is go to a nearby boat ramp at a neighbors house.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

A slightly rusty, third-hand boat trailer to fit a light skiff or pram can be had just about anywhere in North America for a hundred bucks or less, if you check the back lots of boatyards. Expect to pay a similar price for an 8' utility trailer that would also suit your purposes. Add up the prices of the components for something new- $60 for an axle, another $75 for a pair of tires on 8" rims, $25 for lights.... since you're not going far or fast, I wouldn't think twice about getting something used and cheap and just adding suitable blocks/bunks to fit your hull.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Just knock the sides off an old garden trailer and toss some carpet covered 2x4 bunks on it, so the pram will ride nice. Hook it to your garden tractor and have fun. Make the tongue long enough to get the boat in the water, but not your tractor.

4. kayakn

kayakn Junior Member

thanks, i have been looking for some cheap small boat or utility trailers but i never thought of taking the sides off of a lawnmower trailer.

Thanks.

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

... or you could put two lawnmower wheels on a piece of thick ply to make a wheeled cradle that would fit on the transom, attach a pole to the bow and use the boat itself as the trailer if you don't have far to go and the ground is not too bumpy. I used to move my old, heavy canoe to the water that way before I got into making lightweight canoes. It had the benefit that I could put the bits into the boat until I needed them to get it back out of the water. later the pole became a mast.

6. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.