PP65 upgrade

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Michael Denner, Aug 28, 2018.

1. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

I'd get rid of that outboard anyway. But three things: first I don't quite follow your description of the jet intake module installation; could you show pics from below? Second, the trim angle seems a bit low for a deep v hull at top speed, is there a hook somewhere in the bottom panels or are spray rails asymmetrical or is the jet intake angled or protruding?

Edit: In the picture from behind, the ply part seems to be biased towards port; its left edge is closer to the spray rail "root" on that side than on the other. Is it real or a "perspective lure"?

2. Michael Denner

Michael Denner Junior Member

by the way thats a standard essex in the pic which i got off ebay a few weeks ago, my tuned one droped and crunched up a valve seat at the end of last season, and i didn't realize untill i fired it up after fitting the hamilton and it wasn't running smoothly. I just got the block and heads back from the machine shop today. Think i'll leave stock one in for rest of season as its running nicely and seeems to have ample power. though it doesn't have enough umph to hit the rev limiter which is currently set at 5500RPM.

3. Michael Denner

Hi Baeckmo, in the pic of the plywood box the boat is not level or even centered on the trailer i had to raise the boat up on blocks to create room to work under it. The port side is supported bt blocks and is being lifted at the first chine, and the starbord side is supported by blocks on the second chine. so its giving the impression theres a lack of simitery which is not really the case.

Attached are pix of the transom ofter removal of the PP unit and the area going from a V to a flat line to enter the scoop. under construction and finished. will take pix from below tomorrow. jet intake is flush and parllel to the bottom. the box does protrude by three inches at the bottom and half an inch at the top because of the slope of the transom.
    IMG_1302.JPG IMG_1317.JPG IMG_1411.JPG

Attached Files:

4. Michael Denner

Well spotted that man! come to think of it you can see it in the pic where I removed the pp jet! Just went down and took pic, the starboard chine/spray rail is one inch further over from the centre line! (3" from CL on port, 4" on starboard) do you think that is the cause of the pronounced erratic list I’m getting now and for the tendency to list erratically when the pp jet was going fast too. It corresponds with the position of the engine bearers on the inside. I never noticed it was off centre on the outside too. If that’s it it’s going to be very difficult to fix, it’s a design fault. The engine bearers are sitting in the spray rails, so it wouldn’t be just a simple case of grinding one off and making a new one in a symmetrical position. By the way it wasn't top speed because it was towing the bannana but it was full thrust.

IMG_1601.JPG

5. Michael Denner

with regards trim do you think the bow should be riding a little higher so the water is being parted where the V angle is less steep?. with the PP there was so much weight at the back the bow was so high you could't see what was on the water close to the boat and the exausts were almost below the waterline at rest. What is the hook you were refering to?

6. Michael Denner

hi Beackmo, here's the pix from the side and the front of the water intake. the grill if it was fitted would be flush with the bottom edge of my V taper to flat. Couldn't pull boat out to take pix until the vehicle parked in front of it had its breaks put back together, better late than never.

So what do you thing is causing the listing? i'm taking it out thursday incase there is anything you'd like me to try out or take photos or videos of.

Attached Files:

7. tobyhale

tobyhale New Member

Hi Michael,
    I'm very interested in your pp90 jets for sale.
    If still available please could you email me tobiasjohn1@gmail.com
    Many Thanks!

8. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Afraid it's impossible to say from the pics. You have to check the symmetries of all longitudinal spray rails; width, distance from keel, horizontal angle, sharpness of edge, longitudinal straightness....and we're talking mm's, not inches! Also check longitudinal straightness for the aft half of the bottom panels, there should be neither convexity nor concavity.

The image of the original cut-out seems to be symmetrical, the distance from the cut to the inner rails are pretty much alike; why is the new different?

9. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Hi! I’m very interested in the results of using the bigger engine with the 771. I’ve also got a 771 that I’m hoping to work with a 200hp engine. Did you have any issues with the larger engine and the pump? Did you have to use a smaller nozzle or upgrade the impeller? Any issues with the stock flanged shaft or bearings? Thanks for your feedback!
    Graeme

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.