pp jet parts

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by big foot, Nov 6, 2009.

1. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Well done Dave ,a picture paints a thousand words and that manual you posted was a real find ,it,s 25yrs since I saw one of those. Garry, I had time to enlarge and examine your photo today and I can now see the arm that the steering cable attaches to, should have gone to Specsavers , that nozzle will be fine. Dave has posted pictures of the parts that you need ,but what the ball and sockets are called I don't know.This was the original version of the 65 which became the "economy" when it was superseded by an updated version ,very similar to the 90A. This had an internal nozzle turning within a bowl ,which was actuated by a torsional bar connected to a transverse lever in the boat, rather than telescopic rods ,as was the bucket. Thus the cables were inside the boat and less prone to the corrosion and leakage which I regret to say yours can suffer from .

2. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

anthony i'll have some more pics tomorrow for you ok.

3. anthony goodson

Dave you seem pretty well up on this so I expect you know ,that the front bearing is a standard off the shelf bearing ,the rear bearing is just a DU bush and all the seals are standard automotive ones but with stainless steel springs. Garry might appreciate this information .

4. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

yeah been told that already anthony. got a local bearing place where i live so once i've stripped it down i'll be paying them a visit for new bearings and seals.

cheers for all the help and info guys. being my first jet drive i wouldn't know where to start with it.

5. windydave13

windydave13 Junior Member

Anthony,

Cheers for that, but it seems mine is a "West End" unit rather than a PP65. To be honest they seem pretty similar but i've got a number for Sam at West End Marine so going to check with him to see that they are standard bearings before i start trying to install the new ones. I've only just got the bearing housing and drive shaft out the unit, so now i can start stripping it down.

Out of interest is there a technique for removing the seals that go between the transom/jet unit?? I've had a little look this evening but i don't want to just rip them out then have issues at a later date. I presume i don't have to seperate the unit from the boat to remove them???

6. anthony goodson

Dave
    Do you mean the 3 shaft seals ?

7. windydave13

I can only assume so.

It's not the seals in the aly bearing housing but the ones pressed into the casting where the jet unit meets the hull. I'll try and take a picture later

8. anthony goodson

Sounds like the shaft seals ,there are three of these just pressed in nothing special about them except stainless springs ,just take the numbers round the face to match .When you have hooked the seals out ,you will see a small hole in the roof of the tube they sit in ,this is to allow grease to be injected between the seals through a tapping and nipple on the front face of the jet The two seals nearest the water sit together with their springs facing the water. Then you leave a gap so that the grease hole is not covered ,as you insert the last seal ,facing the same way as the others.I used to cut a thin section of slightly oversize ss tube and split it to leave a gap ,insert it and then check with a bent piece of wire that the gap matched the hole and leave it in there. Not by the book ,but I felt it helped to keep the seals square.

9. windydave13

Anthony,

Cheers for the info. It's not the easiest seeing whats in there at the moment esoecially with the dark nigths and the fact i haven't got enough head room to lift the engine clear of the boat. Hopefully i'll sort that this weekend with a bit of fetling!!

10. anthony goodson

Dave don't be afraid to remove the jet unit from the hull , unless it has been sealed with sikaflex. These units go back and line up very easily and are not prone to leakage at this flange ,you don't need to do this to replace these seals ,but you might bear it in mind in the future.

11. anthony goodson

Garry ,the penny has just dropped ,you didn't get the intake box with your jet ,I was idly wondering why you needed the grill dimensions and then I realised. On this jet the forward part of the jet comes as a fibreglass moulding ,which you bond into the hull . The design and dimensions of this are critical to the performance of the jet you would be very lucky to get it right just with rough measurements ,you really need a moulding or a mould off another intake.

12. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

thought i might have to make something up. i'll email VT and see if i can get any info. i was going to make up a tunnel in the bottom of my boat about 2-3ft long and at the front of it i was going to open it up a bit wider so it will start at about 12" wide the narrow down to the width of the intake on the jet.
    i'll see if i can do a drawing on my computer so you get an idea of what i mean.

also got some pics today for you. will put them up shortly ok

13. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

here you go anthony

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

don't laugh at my attempt to draw on a computer.

do you think something like this will work ok?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. anthony goodson

Thanks Garry that's just as the nozzle should look ,I could not see that on your original picture. Regarding the intake think it would be advisable to research and maintain the original intake dimensions and profile ,the effort made now will pay you back in the longterm , perhaps Niaid will provide a drawing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.