PowerCat Performance Calculator

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by L'eau.Life, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Alan
    Well done. The feedback is appreciated.

Rick W

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

3. L'eau.Life

L'eau.Life Junior Member

Nice size boat - although unlike mine it is a displacement design so the engines aren't trying to lift her out of the water. I would have preferred this but when I bought there were none around and I didn't want the cost (and time) involved in getting a new boat built.

For NZ my preference would still be diesel inboards though since when buying fuel all petrol is inclusive of road-user tax (supposedly to pay for road maintenance) whereas since we are primarily an agriculture-based economy, for diesel that tax is applied directly to a road-registered vehicle as a separate mileage-based tax and therefore; marine, industrial and agricultural diesel is considerably less expensive. In Oz (where these are built) there is little difference in cost at the pump (diesel is actually slightly dearer/liter).

Interestingly, I understand Roger Hill (the designer of this model) originally worked under Ron Given and if you look at both of their work there are many similarities.

Cheers, Alan

4. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Well done, that boat's received a lot of love! Did you fair the struts, keel, etc. as suggested by the designer?

5. L'eau.Life

L'eau.Life Junior Member

Thanks, yes a lot of love but fortunately I enjoy working on my boats as much as I do using them.

I did all the fairing before replacing the motors but not flattening the stern section and with so little power at the time there was no appreciable difference. When upgrading the engines larger props were accommodated by slightly longer shafts (had to replace shafts anyway as originals were too thin) and moving the struts aft.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.