interested in fiber ski boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by watersportFreak, Nov 1, 2007.

1. watersportFreak

watersportFreak Junior Member

hello i'm newbie for boat, i very like watersport and i hope to build my own boat in one day.
    now i'm just start to study in boat design specifically in ski boat.
    yes my dream boat is malibu boat but i don't have much money to buy it and then it is my inspiration and idea to build the boat by myself.

now i try to find some boat plan i can adapted it to wakeboard boat .
    and i want to build it by fiber( i don't know how much hard to make between wood and fiber but anyway i'm alot like fiber design in specially ). if you know the plan are appropriate for me please share it, and if you can help to advise me something about wakeboard boat and fiber boat building please do it.

thanks.

2. watersportFreak

requirement Seating maximum 11 Persons on boat and front seating.

Attached Files:

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

If you want to build only one boat, wood is probably the most economical. There are some ways of building fiberglass boats without making a plug and a mold but I don't think they are easier than building in wood. My experience with waterskiing and such years ago was every bit as much fun with very plain boats as it would have been with a flashy, fancy, expensive one.

4. watersportFreak

thank for reply Gilbert.
    i find some boat plan from http://www.glen-l.com , and i found two of them it is
    Bolero // http://www.glen-l.com/designs/inboard/bolero.html
    and
    Roustabout
    http://www.glen-l.com/designs/inboard/roustabout.html#avail

i think it need abit apply i ROUSTABOUT is look like kind of made good wave but ROUSTABOUT is better to pickup many passenger but it is not inboard.
    i need to select one of them and develop it appropriate for ski player.

which one do you think it is good for ski and easy to develop.

5. whipper

whipper Junior Member

I like the bolaro because you can get the HP you need for water sports. the other one is only rated to 120 hp you will need 300 minumum. With the Bolaro you can find a 383 small block stroked pushing 400hp threw a V drive and you will have a great wake board boat. If the Bolaro doesnt have plans for a bow rider its not hard to figure out how to incorperate that your self.

6. watersportFreak

whare i can get Bolero Plans & Patterns ?

7. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Looking over the GlenL designs, I would suggest either the SkiBass or the Renegade. I would lengthen them the 10 percent they suggest as a limit. You don't need 300 horsepower for watersports unless you have a boat that needs 250 hp all by itself.
    You probably know more about water boarding wakes than I do, but for skiing you want a pretty flat wake, which I would not expect Bolero would give you.
    No way would you need more than 100 hp if your boat isn't a power hog. For competition skiing most of the boats have quite a lot of power but I doubt they need it all.

8. watersportFreak

ok Gilbert ,
    normally wake boarder are used 28-35 Km/H. i think i don't need the huge muscle like Bolero. i just want easy to control boat and it can pick up passenger around 7-10 person and it can make such a big wake.

this is the requirement wakeboard boat must do.Boat plans in GlenL web are quite expensive for me, can you introduce some boat plan? pile wood or fiber it ok.

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

All the Glen-L designs mentioned so far except the Ski-Bass share one feature in common that is not ideal for a towboat: they all have a fairly sharp, deep-V hullform. This is great for rough-water running. But it also means the wake will be less than ideal for wakeboarding, and really quite bad for skiing. And I have never seen a 24', 4000 lb boat (like the Bolero) that is designed with skiing/boarding as a priority (ski boats are usually 17' to 22'). The Malibu, Mastercraft and Tige towboats typically have a deadrise of around ten degrees, sometimes less, compared to the 20 degrees plus that these runabouts have. Look for something with a hull shape similar to the boats you know you like.

Most of the good wakeboard boat designs actually begin life as inboard competition waterski boats. The aft chines are redesigned to let it sit a little lower in the water on plane, and a hydrofoil or ballast tank is added to force the stern down. The hull shape itself usually shares the same basic design as the ski version, a monohedral or slightly warped shallow-V at about ten degrees deadrise.

There is absolutely no requirement for huge engines in a towboat. I'm about average size for a Canadian male, and I can ski quite comfortably behind my 30 hp, Bolger-designed runabout when it has two crew aboard. A family member's 190 hp Peterborough has more than enough power for everything and everyone we have ever tried to pull with it. Big engines are only needed if the boat itself is inefficient; in a real towboat, big engines are really just a marketing thing (people want to know the boat can be bloody fast, even if they'll never actually go that fast).

Glen-L plans for a boat this size run around $100-$130 or so. This is a real bargain; you will not find good, proven plans for much less, and the probability of finding good, proven free plans is almost zero. Many designers and plan printers, Glen-L included, let you order directly from their website.

10. jksoft

jksoft Junior Member

I'm just curious what type of wake the deep-V hull form is likely to create that is not ideal for watersports?

Jeremy

11. watersportFreak

Hull Shape.
    V+Flat

Attached Files:

12. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Glen-L classifies the Renegade as a ski boat, and I doubt if they would if it did not have a rather decent wake for it. I think they said it has what is called a gull wing bottom which means a wide reverse V chine. I certainly have no personal experience with that particular design.
    Conventional deep vees usually have a huge wake.

13. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The trouble with a deep-V's wake, from a skier/boarder's perspective, is not just the size but the shape- it ramps up sharply and usually has a turbulent crest that's awkward to cross. Flatter V's give a smoother ramp with less abrupt transitions. Or so the wakeboard-addict friends tell me, and I tend to agree.
    Gullwing hulls can work for skiing, but some make a very confused, multi-part wake that's a bit disorienting for the skier.

14. watersportFreak

15. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

I was wrong about the Glen-L Renegade being a gull wing bottom. It is a regular 12 degree v bottom, which is not a very deep v at all, but it is also not flat. The Moomba looks to be a very typical ski boat configuration but no doubt with their own little features that they think makes them better than all the others.
    I was surprised that you thought the Glen_L plans prices were too high. How much do you think you will spend on the boat itself? Certainly, your material costs must be almost nothing if you thought their prices were out of the question. Also, the motor????

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.