help with design

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by robert b, Nov 25, 2011.

1. robert b

robert b New Member

i am refitting a 36 ft kings craft so far i have removed the two 318 inboards and replaced them with 2 145 hp volvo diesels with twin props even though the diesels are heaver the boat raised 1 in from the old water line the problem is i am putting a new swim platform with 2 steeps built in the platform . the platform is 16 in from water line at rest the steps should be 14 in boat weight is 8000 lb there is no gen set ,galley or gear on board how much weight will the boat take before it settles 2 in i do not want the steps to be in the water when the boat is at rest. robert r

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

That would depend on where the additional weight goes. If it is installed in such a way as to not to change the attitude of the boat, (as in the fore and aft trim) you need to get an approximation of the waterline area, if it is say, 200 square feet, you will need around 2000 lbs extra weight to drop 2". Roughly.

3. robert b

robert b New Member

thanks mr efficiency robert b

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.