Nesting canoe

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by EGComposites, Apr 1, 2023.

1. EGComposites

EGComposites Junior Member

The story goes...
    I had a 14ft square transom canoe mold that I don't use and never intended to as I'm more of a symmetrical canoeist and don't build things that I don't like:D Laid some glass in the bow side 6ft long...twice. wanted to trim them to make myself a light pack canoe, no gelcoat but paint to keep it light, used 2 layers biax glass and just a wee bit of mat. Around 6kg each
    Yesterday was having a beer with a friend and he saw the 2 pieces and asked why I don't make it a 2 part with thick flanges and some bolts.
    I find that to be almost useless since it won't get into my car anyway and I thought...what if i cut the halves in half that would really be something.
    Except thicker flange, a bit of rubber and lots of bolts what are my options? Toggle clamps?

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Does this mean that the canoe would now be in 4 sections, rather than 2?

If you built it 14' long, and then divided it into 3 sections rather than 4, would these 3 sections then fit in your car?

3. EGComposites

Lengthwise with folded seats yes, but I would be happier with a 12ft in 4 pieces with the biggest piece of 3ft 3" or just a bit under 1m.
    Thought of another option of using some bicycle quick release skewers. They seem to be very strong in bikes.

4. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

rwatson likes this.
  5. EGComposites

That is kinda straight lines. Not that it matters that much but I like more the tumblehome shape on a canoe.
    Don't know the weight of that but adding some thick laminate bulkheads to my chopped canoe and a bunch of bolts/or maybe bicycle skewers won't add more than 8kg for a 20kg max.
    I wonder if bike release skewers exist in...other shape/length.
    Looked up on the modular pakayak and it uses toggle clamps but that's a kayak, it has a deck not sure how it would work on an open boat like a canoe.

6. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

Yes; used sometimes for seatpost clamps, though the bolt length may not be what you need.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.