power required for 10ft intex inflatable - British Seagull 40 minus or 40 plus

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Dec 18, 2010.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Hi,I have a 10ft intex inflatable with a flat inflatable keel,the transom is an attachment kit,the tubes go all the way round without a break for a transom.
    I have fitted a two piece ply floor/deck.
    I have two British Seagull engines,a 40 minus and a 40 plus.My dilema is which one to use in the sea and estuaries.The plus has the bigger prop,but revs lower than the minus.I need to know which would handle rip currents and a head wind the best,and would the minus be faster and powerful enough.The specified max.weight the boat will carry is 660lbs,I would only be loading it to a max.of 400lbs.I intend using it for fishing close to shore,but might need to travel some distance in it.
    I am no spring chicken and this is the first boat I have owned,so any advice or help to set me on the right road or should I say "Tack"will be gratefully recieved.
    Kind Regards

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Hi. the larger propped, slower spinning one will be more like to push you along at a pace you will like. I have a 10 ft Zodiac and a 2 HP honda and it seems marginal and slipping alot with two passengers.

3. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Thanks Mark,you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to obtain the info,I can see this forum is the answer.I am toying with the idea of adding an anti-bubble plate above the prop,apparently this gets rid of the airated water caused by the wake of the boat,and gives more power to the prop.Perhaps your Honda might benefit from one if you are getting a "slip effect"Especially with weight aboard.I imagine if the prop is threshing air as well as water it will effect the thrust.My engine is a 2stroke,so the depth it is submerged is crucial because of the back pressure on the exhaust.

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Go with the plus. I have a heavier 10' inflatable, plywood transom and floor. 200# load it will eventually get on a plane, 400# it won't. I' running a 2 cycle Nissan 5 hp.

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

The Plus would be my suggestion.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.