want to learn about boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rhtoor, Feb 6, 2011.

1. rhtoor

rhtoor New Member

I'm a student. I am a beginner on boat design. I want to produce a basic design of a yacht. But I'm confused where to start. I don't have enough data or books. :(

Someone plz help with links or videos, software for practice. which may help me make me confident. I want to learn more about design. U can suggest books also... :)

2. wikijin

wikijin Junior Member

3. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Hi,
    Look up Eric Sponberg's series of design articles posted on this site. They provide an excellent definition of the key design co-efficients and ratios for yacht design. There are books recommended in the bookshop here also (Skeenes seems to be the most talked about).
    From someone who is very much an amateur in yacht design, can I sugest not to rush into 3D modelling programmes, everything you draw in 3D tends to look good, but not always actually is. Im not criticising Rhino, far from it. But you are better to start with a sketch book, start sketching what you want and understanding how the shapes in the different planes relate to each other. Rhino, like any other 3D modeling software package is just a computer based drawing board, great for moving lines around but worthless if you dont understand what makes for a good boat or yacht.
    If you look through this site there are numerous discussions on what is the best software, use the search function. Rhino has a limited use evaluation copy, but there are free packages available that are specifically for boats, if a bit less capable of doing fancy 3D renders etc.

Many proffesional yacht designers and class websites also publish guides on the basics of yacht design.

The proffesional naval architects here will suggest you start by writing a deign brief or "Statement of Requirements". What do you want to acheive with the boat, what is it used for, what weather conditions etc?
    If this is for a student design project, this must happen before you even start thinking about the shape of the boat. I imagine you will get plenty of answers to your questions here if you actually do this now before asking any more questions and show you are prepared to put in some hard work.

Good luck
    Jeff

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

just general knowledge you hoping for ?or are you wanting to design a spacific type ,shape, and class of boat? Got a camera ? I am not that into Yachts but made 100s in my time Glass mostly . Power boats are my thing to narrow that down a little ,tunnel boats ( not catamarans !! They are differant ) so i went to race meeting and took hundreds of pictures , asked questions till it got dark , i never stopped looking for info ,I filed and absorbed everything i could find . Theres lots a ways to learn and drive people crazy , comuters these days are a good starting place and from the comfort of your own bed room you can collect and hord a wealth of knowledge , Its up to you to look analyze and understand what you have and why they are doing what they are doing . Go find some one building a boat , go join a sailing school or club , sail small boats and feel the joy of getting tossed out when you made a mistake and pulled the tiller the wrong way , or lean to far and the wind died . . Never give up! theres 24 hours in a day and you can use 18 of those hours so get a move on !!!
    See ya :eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.