Power prediction : Holtrop-Mennen

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TANSL, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Olav

Olav naval architect

rxcomposite, my apologies - I didn't realize you had trouble with the updated version (which I hadn't tried when I replied to you). The initial version worked perfectly fine.

However, TANSL seems to have updated his spreadsheet another time and now it shows both the output table and graph flawlessly and without any error messages.

@TANSL: Thanks!

2. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

When I try to debug the macro in calcula, this is what I am getting.

Attached Files:

3. rxcomposite

I wonder why? Seems Daiquiri is having problem too with his download while you don't. I tried changing the optional setting of my Excel program but I am not permitted with TANSL's spreadsheet. I am also using Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hi Rene I think I know what happens: the program tries to create a file on your computer, but Windows does not allow it to create files in C: \. I deleted the creation of this auxiliary file. Try, please, version H-M 02
    Thank you all.

NOTE : please, go to post #21 to download file

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

It is still trying to create a file in C:
    Holtrop error.jpg
    The table and graph in the output page are still empty and no trace of any new file on the drive C: . I have tried to change it into F: (the partition on my HD which is accessible by programs) but with no success :(

As a side note, I am using it on a Windows 7 machine, just like Rxcomposite. In about an hour (when I get home) I will try it on my Win XP laptop too.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Sorry, I was wrong and I reloaded the old file. Now okay, I hope. Download it again, please.

Attached Files:

7. daiquiri

There must be a big mess of folders and files in your computer... Looks like you have once more uploaded the same version. ;) :p

HE.jpg

how about adding the version number to the name of the spreadsheet too? It will make your job much easier, imo.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Sorry, what is bad is not my computer but my head, no longer has the agility required for these cases.
    Try again with version 04 (post #21)
    Anyway, daiquiri, tell me, please, if previous versions work properly in Windows XP. Thanks

9. rxcomposite

Hurray! Version 4 is working. I had problem saving it on a temporary file but changed the setting on my Excel and saved it on my file F. So far it is working.

I will try again the other version and see if it is the macro settings in my Excel that is preventing it or the manner of saving it as an .xlms file extention

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Everything is because of the protections that Windows 7 and 8 set for disc C. Although it is in Spanish, the attached figure can show you how it should be set to your C: \ drive to avoid the problem that we have had.

Attached Files:

11. daiquiri

I have checked out the version which creates a file on C: drive, and it works on the PC with the Windows XP. :)

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Thanks, daiquiri. The problema is due to Windows 7-8 protections againts spyware or things like that.

13. rxcomposite

My nephew is here and he is quite knowledgeable in programming. We changed the settings in the C drive as you have intructed (the one in Spanish) but still would not work. The problem is that my Windows version is still preventing me from writing to C: files.

Rather than modify again my settings, he changed the BV code of your program to write to a sub directory in C; which he created. Version 1 is now working fine.

Will send you a copy by PM so as not to muddle up the post with too many versions.

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes, please, send me the modified copy of the worksheet. However, the latter one version of my program need not save any files in C: \, so it worked properly.
    Thank you Rene.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.